January 3, 2017

Ten books published in 2016 still on my TBR pile that I REALLY need to read in 2017


While I did manage to put out a list of the books I read and enjoyed this past year, there are still so many books that came out in 2016 that are sitting on my to-be-read pile that could've just as easily wound up on that list had I read them.  One of these days I'm gonna learn to speed read, so I have half a chance of reading ALL of the books on my TBR pile.

So I thought I would make another list to give a shout-out to a few of the books sitting on my TBR pile that I really should've read in 2016, but just let fall to the wayside for some ungodly reason. Some of these books I've seen end up on a lot of people's year-end lists, and the others I'm kind of surprised haven't shown up on more lists because all of the authors listed below are super-talented and deserve as many eyeballs on their books as possible.

And they are ...


Company Town by Madeline Ashby - This one caught my attention at first because it is set in the Maritimes region, my stomping grounds. What hooked me was that it's a near future, murder mystery, sci-fi thriller set on a city-sized oil rig. Phwah! Yes, please.

Savages by Greg F. Gifune - Everything of Greg's I've read so far has been quiet and contemplative as far as the horror goes, so this balls-to-the-wall, lost-at-sea slasher is not something I was expecting from him, but you can be damn sure I'll devour it.

Children of the Dark by Jonathan Janz - I have fallen behind in keeping up with Janz's work, which is shameful on my part because he gets better with each book he puts out, and by the sounds of it this coming-of-age cryptid tale is his best novel yet.


The Rib From Which I Remake the World by Ed Kurtz - A bit of black magic noir set during World War Two? I'm salivating already. This book may be on more year-end lists than any other I'm highlighting here, and with good reason I reckon, in that Ed is a helluva writer.

The Ballad of Black Tom by Victor LaValle - Playing in Lovecraft's sandbox can be fun, but I think readers enjoy it even more when Lovecraft's---hmmm--problematic worldview can be confronted or even subverted by authors. And it sounds like LaValle did a great job of that with this novella.

Stranded by Bracken MacLeod - I had to add this one to my bookshelves when I heard "in the spirit of John Carpenter's The Thing" among the myriad of advance praise it received. A shipwreck thriller set in the arctic with a Twilight Zone caliber curveball thrown in? Sounds like perfect reading for this winter.


The Train Derails in Boston by Jessica McHugh - I'm a fan of haunted house stories, but I ain't of a haunted house story quite like this one. I haven't read a McHugh novel yet, and I think this one is the perfect place to start.

The Family Plot by Cherie Priest - Speaking of haunted houses, here's another one that caught my eye in the fall, with a salvage crew heading out to an old property that's due to be demolished only to find that the place isn't all that dilapidated and isn't all that abandoned. Eep.

Rocks Fall Everyone Dies by Lindsay Ribar - This one came out in the summer and since then I haven't heard too much talk about it, which is too bad because the idea of a supernaturally endowed family being the one thing keeping calamity at bay and using that to exploit the townspeople sounds so devilish.


Holy Death by Anthony Neil Smith - This is the fourth and latest installment in Smith's Billy Lafitte series. I'll need to catch up in this series, but when Holy Death came out there was no hesitation in buying it, since Smith is a helluva noir writer and Lafitte is a helluva anti-hero.


No comments:

Post a Comment