September 18, 2015

Chasing Tale [Books Received for Sept 19, 2015]: You Are What You Write and Other Bullshit Attitudes

Chasing Tale is a regular feature on the blog where I highlight the latest books to wind up on my to-be-read pile, followed by a rant on whatever happens to be on my mind.



The Awesome by Eva Darrows - This YA vampire novel came on sale at the start of the month and the cover art alone had me drawn to it. I'm picking up a bit of a 90s vibe from it, but that could just be the cover art along with the premise of a teen girl hunting monsters. Throw in the twist that she can't get her official hunter's license until she loses her virginity, and this could have some real comedy added to it, too.

Kingdom of Shadows by Greg F. Gifune - As far as I know, this novella published by DarkFuse is still free right now on the Kindle Store, so there's really no excuse for you not to go download it. A bunch of crooks holed up somewhere with a macabre figure hunting them down? I'm in.

General Slocum's Gold by Nicholas Kaufmann - A 99 cent bargain on the Kindle Store for this Bram Stoker Award-nominated novelette. This one has an ex-con with an unnaturally gifted ability of stealing things on the hunt for buried treasure on an island in the East River. Sounds good to me.


The Mrs. McGillicuddy Mysteries Season 1 Episode 1 by K.H. Koehler - As an enticement, this first installment in a steampunk serial novel was free for the yoinking last week on the Kindle Store. It's still less than a buck at its regular price.

Hot Lead, Cold Iron by Ari Marmell - This was a Kindle Daily Deal a week or two ago. I had no idea what it was about when I bought it, but it came heavily recommended by others, so I scooped it up on the cheap. Turns out it's one of those gritty urban fantasy series that I tend to go for anyway, so bonus points there.

The Last King's Amulet by Chris Northern - I received a review copy of this epic fantasy. I thought it was pretty universal that this genre required books to be big moose-stunning tomes, but this one clocks in at less than 300 pages. There are four books in the series, so maybe this is like an epic fantasy version of a serial novel.


Jasmine and Garlic by Monica J. O'Rourke - This short story is a freebie on the Kindle Store. I picked it up, as I realized that I didn't have anything by Monica on my TBR pile. So that's fixed for now.

Wanted: Single Rose by Mav Skye - This is a review copy that wound up on my pile, which features a psycho thriller centered around Halloween. Mav's gonna be stopping by the blog later on to talk about this one, so watch out for that.

Stained by Lee Thomas - This is Lee's debut novel, re-issued last year as a 10th anniversary edition through Lethe Press. Not sure what it's about, but the cover looks gruesome as all get out ... or maybe it's a coffee-themed horror novel. Either way, he wrote The German, which was amazing, so I'm in.


For the Night Is Dark edited by Ross Warren - This darkness-themed anthology was only 99 cents when I snagged it. It has stories by Kevin Lucia, Gary McMahon, Tonia Brown, William Meikle, and a bunch more, so I'm bound to find at least four stories I'll enjoy.

Aftermath (Star Wars: Journey to The Force Awakens) by Chuck Wendig - I picked up a copy of this Star Wars novel after a bunch of homophobic neckbeards lost their shit over the fact it features a gay character and one-starred the bejesus out of it on Amazon. This'll be my first Star Wars novel experience too, as I just started reading it. I'm a mark for Wendig's novels anyway, so there ya go.

Half-Made Girls by Sam Witt - A very weird western vibe from this Kindle Store freebie. And when you get it, there's a link to sign up for Sam's newsletter and get another free book, so I'll have to do that, too.


You Are What You Write and Other Bullshit Attitudes

It's a long held belief among more than a few people in this world that horror authors must be psychologically disturbed to write the things they do. It's an extension of that thing where readers will ask an author: "Where do you get your ideas from?" Only with horror authors, it's more like: "Where do you get your ideas from, you sicko?"

If you've ever asked this of an author, or even just wondered it to yourself, please ... just stop.

Apply that idea to any other genre and you might get an idea of how astonishingly silly it sounds. Do people who write horror harbor some kind of psychotic ill will? No! Otherwise our prisons would be filled with typewriters. You're as likely to find a horror author is also a serial killer as you are to find a sci-fi author is also a time traveler. Do you perhaps also believe children's books are written by children?

It's such a surreal notion to me that there are people of sound mind out there walking around with the belief that Stephen King must have bodies buried in his basement. And not just King, but any writer who doubtlessly gets a perverse thrill from writing about murder and monsters and morose subject matter.

At the end of the day it boils down to imagination. People who have it, use it. People who don't cannot fathom what goes on in the minds of those who do.

No comments:

Post a Comment