April 7, 2015

Realistic Sci-Fi and Futuristic Vibes: an interview with Aer-Ki Jyr, author of "Apex"

About Aer-Ki Jyr's ApexThe last human in the universe is brought out of stasis to find his once vast galactic empire no more...and his life very much in danger.

It’s been eons since humans controlled the universe. Defeated by a mysterious enemy, the downfall of humanity brought about a virtual dark age, with culture and technology stagnating in its absence. But now, trade is once again flourishing as human artifacts resurface throughout the galaxy, resurrecting long forgotten advancements.

And one such discovery might very well alter the course of the future forever.

An epic space adventure, Aer-ki Jyr’s APEX is a breathless race to the ultimate prize, with the very fate of the stars hanging in the balance.

http://www.harpercollins.com/9780062396440/apex


Gef: Where did you get the inspiration for Apex?

Aer-Ki: Actually, for the first part I was channeling the Mass Effect video game, then for the rest of it I was watching Tron Legacy over and over, sometimes just listening to it when I wrote to get that futuristic vibe.
 
Gef: What tends to spring into your mind first when crafting a story? Is it a "what if," a character, a specific scene?

Aer-Ki: Honestly, it's when I see a movie or read a book that does something wrong. I want to 'fix' it and show how it's supposed to be done. Biggest thing nowadays is that nobody writes the 'good guys' right. I mean, when everyone wants to be a Sith instead of a Jedi something is seriously wrong.
 
Gef: What was it about this book, if anything, that you approached differently from the previous titles?

Aer-Ki: To date, I make my living as a writer writing a serial called Star Force. Each episode is about 1/3 to 1/4 of a novel and it's structured like a TV series. When I wrote Apex I told myself to write it like a movie instead. It's more focused and character driven, whereas Star Force is huge in scope and is, among many things, world building without a main character.
· 
Gef: How intensive does the research process get for you? What little tricks have you picked up with approaching the research phase of writing?

Aer-Ki: I write space scifi, so my research is playing video games and watching movies. Beyond that I make everything realistic, and that comes from my base knowledge of science that I've just accumulated over the years. So when I write I usually don't research first, just google things along the way that come up. I pretty much know what I need going in.
 
Gef: What do you consider to be the strength or saving grace of science fiction?

Aer-Ki: People are looking for something in the genre that they usually don't find...yet they keep looking. There's a hunger there that drives the genre, though most authors can't give them what they're looking for. When you can, you hit it big. George Lucas proved that with Star Wars, and to this day nobody can identify exactly what he did to generate that kind of a following.
 
Gef: What's the worst piece of writing advice you ever received? Or what piece of writing advice do you wish would just go away?

Aer-Ki: In English class, we were told to follow MLA format. Now I laugh at that. The purpose of writing is communication between author and reader in the most efficient way. No rules, just what works, and different readers will receive information in different styles, so there isn't just one way to write. Anyone who says there is doesn't know what they're talking about.
 
Gef: What kind of guilty pleasures do you have when it comes to books or movies or whatnot?

Aer-Ki: I'm of a mind that you should never feel guilty about anything worthwhile. I used to watch Sailor Moon in college because it came on before DBZ. It's a wacky girls cartoon, but there are some good things in it. I'm able to split a movie or book or tv show into pieces, tolerating the crap in order to soak up the good bits. No need to feel guilty about that, though you might get made fun of a bit.
 
Gef: What projects are you cooking up that folks can expect in the near future, and how can folks keep up with your shenanigans?

Aer-Ki: Star Force is a franchise I'm working on, with the backstory 'Origin Series' coming to a completion in about a year from now. The franchise will continue on from there, but right now putting out a new episode every 2 weeks is keeping me busy. I'll also be writing Apex 2 around that schedule, though I haven't started it yet. 

Twitter is the best place to keep up with me, but I also have an author facebook page and an active Star Force one where I post a meme a day along with series updates.


Apex is available on Amazon.com and other online bookstores.


No comments:

Post a Comment