March 16, 2015

Howlin' at the Moor: a review of Graeme Reynolds' "High Moor"

High Moor
by Graeme Reynolds
narrated by Chris Barnes
Print version by Horrific Tales Publishing (2011)
Audible version  by Dynamic Ram Audio Production (2013)
354 pages
Run time: 7 hrs. 15 mins.


Available on Amazon.com

It wasn't long after I finally watched Dog Soldiers that I listened to the audiobook version of Graeme Reynolds' High Moor, so I had quite the experience with British werewolf stories. And I gotta say, I had a heckuva time with each.

Werewolves, like vamps and zombies, are an oft-used monster in horror and fantasy, and as well they should be because they are just so tragic and fierce and emotive--maybe Beyonce is a werewolf, come to think of it. Anyway, Graeme's approach is less about the werewolves, although the brand of beast he creates are a vibrant and vicious sort that I think any fan of the genre will appreciate, but the humans populating the smalltown of High Moor are the ones that steal the show for me.

If you're an 80s child, even one outside of the U.K., I am sure there are going to be more than a few identifying moments and characteristics featured in the story to enjoy, coupled with small town hijinks and a ferocious pace that doesn't let up, yet somehow allows enough breathing room for characters. If the flashback-y stuff doesn't suit you, you might be a bit disgruntled by the novel, but it plays in really well overall, and I'd really prefer this novel featuring the bulk of its tale in the 80s more so than present day. The nostalgia factor was set high for me on this one.

Sometimes an audiobook feels like you are being told the story, then there are the ones--like this one--that you simply experience the story. I'm sure had I read the print version of High Moor, I would have been equally pleased with Graeme's artful manner in presenting his characters in all their fabulously fallible glory. Having Chris Barnes practically imbue his voice over each character in a way that causes him to disappear and the story shine through just makes this audiobook a treat, especially for a fan of British horror.

2 comments:

  1. I've got a copy of this book...need to give it a try

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unlike vampires and zombie, werewolves still hold some interest for me, so I may give this one a go.

    On a side not, I'm not sure if it's because of the way the font is hitting the big guys head, but he looks more like a swamp thing type character, rather than a werewolf.

    ReplyDelete