March 31, 2015

Glenn Rolfe’s First Loves? Superman, Cyndi Lauper, and Aliens!: a guest post by Glenn Rolfe, author of "Boom Town"

Glenn Rolfe is an author, singer, songwriter and all around fun loving guy from the haunted woods of New England. He has studied Creative Writing at Southern New Hampshire University, and continues his education in the world of horror by devouring the novels of Stephen King and Richard Laymon. He and his wife, Meghan, have three children, Ruby, Ramona, and Axl. He is grateful to be loved despite his weirdness.

He is the author the ghost/mystery/thriller novella, ABRAM'S BRIDGE (Samhain Publishing, Jan. 2015) and his latest novella, a Horror/Sci-Fi mash-up, BOOM TOWN (Samhain Publishing)
Look for his punk rock band, The Never Nudes, on Amazon and Facebook.
Check out his website: www.glennrolfe.com



 “Glenn Rolfe’s First Loves? Superman, Cyndi Lauper, and Aliens!“
By Glenn Rolfe, Author of Boom Town

Ever since my dad took me to see E.T. (I was five-it was my first movie), I have been pretty obsessed with aliens (and Reese’s Pieces). I remember crying when they took E.T. away and he got sick. I remember loving the cereal that came out (I think it was peanut butter flavored). And of course I had a stuffed animal version of my favorite extra-terrestrial.
E.T. was the gateway. He was the friendly, welcoming guide. It was the first time I watched Close Encounters of the Third Kind that sparked my real interest in the little green men. I remember sitting on the couch spellbound by all the sorts of amazing scenes. When they flew over the streets, when they lit- up the boy, and of course, the final musical/light communication between them and us all had me entranced. Who were they? What did they really want? Richard Dreyfuss was crazy for them. I was on my couch sharing in his fascination.
Two of my favorite super heroes had alien connections, as well: Superman (of course) and Ralph Hinckley aka “The Greatest American Hero.” The scene that played in the intro every week where the ship comes to deliver the famous red suit? Yeah, that was huge for me.
Okay, but these are all happy memories, right? Yes, the gateway and the welcoming committee. There were two other shows on TV that were must-see for me. My dad introduced me to Star Trek (the original, in re-runs). And it was through Star Trek that I really got my first view of E.T.’s with not so nice intentions. Still, those episodes were all in outer space. They were all in different galaxies. The show that hit home was V. Yeah, they came here to take over. They most certainly did not come in peace. They even wore skin to appear human…but beneath they were these green lizardy-looking creatures–fucking terrifying!
The first Predator was also a slice of badass alien with intent to kill. My dad rented every Arnold movie as soon as the videotapes came out. This one was not your average action flick. Like the Terminator, Predator is definitely a Horror/Sci-Fi film, and one that slithered under my skin.
There’s an obvious movie for horror fans in here somewhere, right? Well, I never saw Alien until much later in life (I know, ridiculous!). The movie that fucked me up was Fire in the Sky. The story of the abduction of Travis Walton. This one has some seriously creepy scenes. When Travis has flashbacks to what happened upon the spacecraft, it’s pretty much what every abduction horror story is made of…if you have seen the film you know what I mean.
I’ve seen plenty others since, but Fire in the Sky is still my favorite. It has stuck with me through the years and refuses to let go. If you haven’t seen it, you should check it out. Just remember, when your friends tell you to stay away or to get away from something none of you can comprehend…you should probably listen.
I hope you’ll give my novella, Boom Town, a try. Maybe you’ll see where some of these influences pop up and make their presence known amongst the unknown. Thank you for reading along.
Cheers!

-Glenn
About Boom Town: Terror from below!
In the summer of 1979, Eckert, Wisconsin, was the sight of the most unique UFO encounter in history. A young couple observed a saucer-like aircraft hovering over Hollers Hill. A blue beam blasted down from the center of the craft into the hill and caused the ground to rumble for miles.
Now, thirty years later, Eckert is experiencing nightly rumbles that stir up wild rumors and garner outside attention. The earthly tremors are being blamed on everything from earthquakes to underground earth dwellers. Two pre-teens discover a pipe out behind Packard’s Flea Market uprooted by the “booms” and come into contact with the powerful ooze bubbling from within. What begins as curiosity will end in an afternoon of unbridled terror for the entire town.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...