March 13, 2015

Chasing Tale [March 13, 2015]: Spring Theory

Chasing Tale is a recurring segment where I highlight the books to recently wind up on my to-be-read pile, as well as a quick rant about whatever's on my mind.

Spring is almost here. We're nearly there, people. I will not complain about what has been one wonky winter, because I still remember what a heat wave feels like and I am not looking forward to that. Still, the snow is welcome to f**k off anytime.

With more agreeable weather on the way, I may actually be able to visit a brick-and-mortar bookstore soon. I usually need three things to do that: some money, some time, and some plowed roads. The winter has been a bit stingy in giving all three at once. I get the feeling I'm not the only snowbound northerner with a little cabin fever right about now.

Anyway, it's not like I'm left wanting for books, as a bunch wound up on my ereader recently. Take a look and tell me what you're interested in reading, and let me know what you've added to your bookshelves.





Concrete Angel by Patricia Abbott - If memory serves, this is the novel that was supposed to see its release through Angry Robot Books' crime imprint, but that never happened thanks to the fustercluck that was that imprint's implosion. Well, Polis Books is set to release it in June, and I'm very happy for Patti who writes some great short stories, and I imagine this novel-length work is no different.

Anonymous by Christine Benedict - I received a review copy of this supernatural thriller a little while ago. A young woman she fears she is inheriting her late mother's mental illness when strange happenings start occurring around her. You can check out Christine's guest post by clicking here to learn a little more about the book.


Dark Alchemy by Laura Bickle - Just the tag line of "Stephen King's The Gunslinger meets Breaking Bad' has my interest. I like to see the weird western having its day in the son the last year or so, and this one looks quite promising. I have an interview with Laura coming up in the near future too, so watch out for that.




Mercy House by Adam Cesare - This is an ARC of Adam's latest novel, which is due for release in June. And given the way he's dished out the horror in previous titles, I can hardly fathom what he has in store for this one, besides being absolutely terrifying.

Dark Screams: Volume Two edited by Brian James Freeman and Richard Chizmar - The second installment of this anthology series has hit digital shelves, and with a line-up of Robert McCammon, Norman Prentiss, Shawntelle Madison, Graham Masterton, and Richard Christian Matheson, it's bound to compete with the impressive first installment. You can read my review on that one by clicking here.


Creature Stew edited by Michael S. Collins - If you like your anthologies all in one heaping pile, then there's a new one that popped up with 18 stories all firmly in the horror genre.






The Glass-Sided Ants' Nest by Peter Dickinson - This novel won the CWA Golden Dagger Award for best novel back in the 90s, and Open Road Media has re-published it in ebook format this year. What's old is new again.


The Hollowed Land by Glen Krisch - A post-apocalyptic novella? Why sure. Along with sending me a review copy of this enticing book, Glen also took the time to answer a few interview questions for me too. You can read that interview by clicking here.


Cruelty by Edward Lorn - Ed put out a serial novel last year and now it's collected as one ebook, and it sounds like it could be as gruesome as Hope for the Wicked. Time will tell.






Condemned by Michael McBride - I'm listening to the Audible version of this short novel, narrated by Gary Tiedemann who did a great job with McBrude's Burial Ground, which I listened to recently and you can read my review for it soon.


The Dunfield Terror by William Meikle - Ooh, this novel set for release in April sounds eerily promising, with a town beseiged by a green fog in the dead of winter. Been a while since I checked out a Meikle novel, and this one sounds like classic fare for him.


Fear the Reaper edited by Joe Mynhardt - Here's another anthology with an impressive line-up that includes Gary A. Braunbeck, Joe McKinney, Gary Fry and others. All with the Grim Reaper as the central theme. Groovy.




The Forgotten by Bishop O'Connell - The sequel to Bishop's The Stolen comes out next week, a continuation in his American Faerie Tale series. Looks good to me.

Dust of the Dead by John Palisano - I haven't come across too many books that look at the world in the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse with humanity coming out on top. This new release from Samhain's horror line, which is set for June, tackles that and sounds like it could be a good 'un.

Canary by Duane Swierczynski - One of my favorite thriller writers is back with a new novel through Mulholland Books. I don't even really know what it's about. It could be a noir take on Sylvester and Tweety for all I know, but all I really need to know is that Swierczynski's name is on the cover, and that's an instant win.




Prodigal by Melanie Tem - After Melanie passed away a few weeks ago, I figured it was about time I read one of her novels. I started out with this Stoker Award winner, and I'm glad I did, as it's pretty gosh-darned good. Gonna be picking up more of her stuff this year.


Positive by David Wellington - How about a zombie novel that throws in the added stakes of the virus laying dormant in some carriers, and may unleash itself at any time, rendering sufferers to a quarantine until they reach a certain age. Sounds really interesting, and I have an interview with David coming up in a couple weeks to talk about it too.


Beautiful Sorrows by Mercedes M. Yardley - I could have sworn I had already bought Mercedes' short story collection, but when Shock Totem offered it as a freebie on the Kindle Store last month, it wasn't listed as a purchase. I remedied that, you betcha.


1 comment:

  1. Hiya! Your comment form is being a bit funky in Chrome so I'm going to try it another way.

    I can't wait for Mercy House by Adam Cesare--it's going to be a great one! Also cannot wait for "The Forgotten" by Bishop O'Connell, and "Dust of the Dead" from John Palisano--if you haven't read his other novel "Nerves" you should check it out as it's also a good 'un. I have evangelized "Beautiful Sorrows" muchly at this point so I will not further evangelize it, but also full of awesomenss. Been hearing great things about Dark Screams Vol 2. and I also want to pick a copy of Prodigal by Melanie Tem to read one of these days.

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete