September 25, 2014

Chasing Tale [9/25/14]: Amazon's Skinny Kindles and Fat Wallets

Chasing Tale is a recurring look at the most recent books added to my bookshelves, both physical and digital.

Have you seen the new Kindles? The Kindle Voyage weighs in at a mere 6.4 ounces and a thickness of 0.3 inches. With specs like that, it should give the new iPhone 6 a run for its money. I just hope it's not as bendy as the new iPhone. Then again, I wonder how many people are tucking their ereaders in the pockets of their skinny jeans.

Anyway, new Kindles are snazzy and all, but I kind of wonder where the ceiling is at in terms of advancement for the technology. I mean, it's basic function is to read ebooks. How advanced do they need to be?

Okay, the intuitive screen dimmer is kind of neat, but at the end of the day I don't feel like I'll be missing out using my basic Kindle. I know, I'm a real caveman like that. The new basic Kindle gets a touchscreen, too. Neat-o. I guess that's progress for the low-end market, but I muddle through with the buttons along the side of mine just fine.

If I didn't already own a Kindle, I'd be putting one at the top of my Christmas wish list this year though, that's for sure. What about you? Eager to get your hands on one of the gizmos?

And here's a new batch of books on my bookshelves, most directly from the Kindle Store to my basic, plain, nothin' fancy Kindle.


Blind God's Bluff by Richard Lee Byers - Richard celebrated his birthday earlier this week. Rather than send him a cake or a stripper-gram, I decided to buy a couple books. This one has been on my wish list for a while, but kind of fell off the radar. A cool-sounding urban fantasy with a down-on-his-luck hero. Groovy.

Unclean (Forgotten Realms: The Haunted Lands Book 1) by Richard Lee Byers - The other book I ordered was this one from the Forgotten Realms franchise, which I have zero familiarity with, but Richard recommended it as a gateway for new readers. Works for me and this first book of a trilogy looks spooky as heck.




Let's Get Digital (Updated 2nd Edition) by David Gaughran - I bought the original edition of this ebook a year or two ago, so when David released this updated edition he made it free for all of us who bought the first version. Hooray!

Werepig Fever by Gregory L. Hall - I managed to win a copy of this book after writing a dirty limerick for Tonia Brown. I didn't actually win the limerick contest, but my filthy mind deserved a prize nonetheless apparently. Cheers to the dirty mind, and to Greg for the signed copy.

Widowmakers edited by Peter Kahle - This is a monstrously huge anthology brought about to benefit James Newman, a talented author with mounting medical bills after he was hospitalized by a homicidal tree. Damn you, tree!



The V Wars issues #1-5 by Jonathan Maberry - I won a Goodreads giveaway and expected a graphic novel, but instead received the first five issues of the actual comic book. Hey, no complaints from me. It's Maberry, it's vampires, it's comics.

The Narrows by Ronald Malfi - Here's a novel from Samhain Horror about a small town hit by a flood that brings an old evil with it. Oh yeah, this sounds right up my alley.

The Savage Dead by Joe McKinney - Joe had his birthday this week, too. I have already bought quite a few of his books from the Kindle Store, but amazingly not from his line of zombie books. This one is a stand-alone, so I thought I'd give it a go.





Snow Angels by Barry Napier - Barry has a new novella set for release in October. I don't know a whole lot about it, but I do know that it has a great cover, and Barry is rock solid in the spooky happenings department, so I'm optimistic.

Wake Up, Time to Die by Chris Rhatigan - A new releases from BEAT to a PULP press. This showed up as a freebie when it first hit the Kindle Store, so I kinda lucked out there.

Out of Time by C.M. Saunders - Christian has a new novella out this fall. I had the chance to ask him a few questions about it, and you can check out that interview by clicking here.

MMA Now! by Brian Sobie & Adam Elliott Segal - I don't watch a whole lot of MMA, but I do tend to enjoy it when I do catch it on TV. This new book is kind of a primer for new initiates to the sport or casual fans like me. It's got some cool little spotlights on the big names in the octogon.


Bigfoot Tracks by Steve Vernon - A collection of 3 short stories from the hardest working horror writer in the Maritimes. And it was FREE when I downloaded it a couple days ago.

Slingers 3 & 4 by Matt Wallace - Speaking of free, this series came up as freebies last week on the Kindle Store. Since I had already won the first book and bought the second, I didn't hesitate snagging the third and fourth installments.

Drive by Mark West - I quite enjoyed Mark's novelettes, The Mill and What Gets Left Behind, so when I saw his novella here on sale this week for 99 cents, I marked it off my wish list. Bargain city.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...