June 6, 2014

Chasing Tale [6/6/14]: Bikini Season for Books

It's almost summer and that means it's time for summer reads. Now, if you're a voracious reader like me, then it's really kind of silly to talk about summer reading, since reading is a year round endeavor. But for those folks who only read one or two book a year, because their free time is occupied by things like reality TV or extreme Frisbee or whatever it is non-readers do with their time, this is when they are looking for that one great read to take to the beach or the cottage.

I'm not so sure my reading tastes jibe with those people, but maybe they can look through the most recent titles to wind up on my to-be-read pile and find some inspiration. Or if you have a suggestion for a great summer read, leave a comment and let us all know.


Dare Me by Megan Abbott - I'm rather keen to see what Megan Abbott does in the horror genre with The Rising this year. That one sounds like a horror-ish novel, anyway. But for now, I will content myself with her cheerleader noir novel from a couple years back.

Bloodletter by Warren Newton Beath - Hollywood gears up to make THE vampire movie only for crew members to suspect the vampire is real. At first I thought this book, gifted to me by Jim over at Gingernuts of Horror, was supposed to be some riff on Shadow of the Vampire, but the book actually predates that movie by several years. Hmmm.

Cages and Those Who Hold the Keys by Gary A. Braunbeck - I was perusing the Kindle Store one day, just looking to see if any of Gary's Coffin Hill novels were available in ebook form. No such luck, but I did find this collection of novellas for a couple bucks, so that's a nice consolation.


Red Rising by Pierce Brown - More than a couple people I follow via social media have praised this dystopian sci-fi novel. Well, I finally pulled the trigger--or pushed the buy button. Let's go to Mars, babay!

Fearful Symmetries edited by Ellen Datlow - It's Ellen Datlow. It's Chizine Publications. What more do I need to know?

The Dark Inside by Donna Galanti - A new dark fantasy novella from Donna set in her Human Element universe. I managed to get it when it was free during its intial release, but it's still pretty cheap.



The Serpent Girl by Ray Garton - Oh, I do love a good carnival horror story, and this novella sounds just right for me, with it's truckdriver protagonist abducting a half-woman/half-serpent carny. Uh huh.

Trailer Park Noir by Ray Garton - Keeping with Garton for one more, this one sounds like a disjointed collection of horrific tales all set in the same trailer park. That could be good, too.

The Mirror Empire by Kameron Hurley - An upcoming release from Angry Robot Books. I don't know a whole lot about this ARC beyond it's penned by Kameron Hurley, which should be all I really need to know to look forward to it.


Ghost Train to New Orleans by Mur Lafferty - Earlier in the year I reviewed Mur's first novel in this series, Shambling Guide to New York, and quite enjoyed it. I wonder what she has in store for the next stop on her paranormal tour.

Green by Jay Lake - Jay Lake died over the weekend. I've been meaning to check out his work for a while, if for no other reason than those who knew him have been singing his praises both as a writer and as a human being. I picked up a copy of this darkly tinged fantasy novel, because I figured it was time I add his work to my TBR pile.

Ghost Month by Ed Lin - A mystery novel coming out this summer from Soho Crime. Set in Taiwan with a guy called back from America to run his father's store, leaving behind his gal crush only to discover she's been found dead on the side of a Taiwan road. How did she get there and who killed her? Sounds good to me.



Jane Carver of Waar by Nathan Long - I originally borrowed a copy of this rollicking adventure from the library and was really enjoying it, but got bogged down and couldn't finish it before having to return it. So, I just bought myself a copy and finished reading it. Yeah. The rest of it was really good, too.

Kaiju Rising: Age of Monsters edited by Tim Marquitz & Nickolas Sparks - An anthology full of giant monsters. Godzilla be damned. I won this copy from the good little soldiers at Ragnarok Publications.

Indexing by Seanan McGuire -This book came on sale in May, so I picked it up from the Kindle Store for a couple bucks. By the sounds of it, a government agency protects people from fairy tales. Neat.


Dirtbags by Eryk Pruitt - A wannabe serial killer hired for his first kill. All with the bucolic Ameircan south as a backdrop. Eryk stopped by the blog not too long ago with a guest post, too. Click here to check it out.

Loosely Enforced Rules by Anthony J. Rapino - A new short story from Anthony, and word has it that it's his most bloody thrillfest yet. Now that is a tall order.

The Hard Bounce by Todd Robinson - A noir novel with a bouncer sent on a violent errand. I've read Todd's short fiction and really liked it, so fingers crossed on similar results for this novel. A lot of people on my Facebook and Twitter feeds who've read it seem to approve.

Kumquat by Jeff Strand - A new novel from Jeff this year? I just got done reading and reviewing I Have a Bad Feeling About This. Ah well, the guy's good. If he wants to saturate the market with his books, I say let it rain.

The German by Lee Thomas - I have a couple of Lee's novels on my Kindle, but when I had a chance to buy this book, which Brian Keene listed among his favorites a couple years back, I just had to get it. Been winding my way through it slowly but surely, and I can see what Brian loved so much about it.

4 comments:

  1. Great list, Gef! I've read some of them. The German was awesome and one of the most memorable for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it was a real gut-punch at the end, there. I got 'Torn' and 'Ash Street' on my Kindle too, so I'll have to flip a coin to see which one of those to read next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Gef, thanks so much for including my short story collection, The Dark Inside, here! What a great line up you've got here. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're quite welcome, Donna.

    ReplyDelete