June 19, 2014

Chasing Tale [6/19/14]: Getting Outraged Vs. Getting Outside

For months now, years really, the "Amazon Is Evil" debate has polluted my web browser. It's intensified these last few months because of the whole Hachette/Amazon negotiations and the strong-arm tactics being employed on both sides. Frankly, I'm tired of it. To be perfectly frank, I grew weary of it before it got started.

I'm not going to dive into the nitty-gritty of the kerfuffle, as you can entertain yourselves with that by reading the myriad of blogs and news articles already dissecting it. I just want to point out to the most fervent among you that it's time to chill the f**k out for a bit.

Besides, for whatever transgressions Amazon or Hachette have committed, there are a few more corporations I have higher on my "Evil As F**k" list. Monsanto and Walmart spring immediately to mind, and I don't go around the blogosphere decrying them at every turn.

It's summer. The birds are chirping. The sun is shining. And the barbeque is awesome. At least if you're not living in some environmentally devastated region of the continent, like those spots dealing with wildfires and/or drought. So stop getting outraged for five minutes and start getting outside.

Then maybe, just maybe, you can come back to your computer and piss and moan some more when you have something new to add to the debate.

Sound good? Good. And take a book with you while you're at it. Here are some suggestions:


Corrosion by Jon Bassoff - Honestly, I'm still not too sure what this novel is all about, but it's been recommended to me enough times now, I broke down and hit up the Kindle Store to get me a copy.

Exiles: An Outsider Anthology edited by Paul D. Brazill -A noir anthology that caught my eye, namely for Paul D. Brazill and Patti Abbott. For a book less than two-hundred pages, it's packed in well over twenty stories, so I'm guessing there are no wasted words.

Saving Grace Devine by Catherine Cavendish - Some gothic horror from Catherine and Samhain Publishing with a touch of time-travel thrown in for good measure. Sounds promising.


American Nightmare edited by George Cotronis - How about an anthology of monstrous stories set in mid-20th century America? Yeah, sounds good to me, too.

The Lizard's Ardent Uniform edited by David Cramner - I have no idea who Kyle J. Knapp is, but a bunch of authors saw fit to write stories inspired by the journal entries of the late poet.

East of Suez by Howard Engel - I won this mystery novel via Goodreads. It's the twelfth in the Benny Cooperman series, and I've not read Engel's work before, but I find the fact he suffered a stroke that hindered his ability to read yet managed to persevere and continue writing absolutely fascinating.


Elements of the Undead by William Esmont - I won this one a couple weeks back. If zombies are done, tell it to the towering pile of zombie novels populating my TBR pile.

Wrath of Michael by Suren Fant - This is the second book in Fant's Shade of Light series, with the archangel butting heads with ol' Satan and his minions by the looks of it.

"Shadow of Death" by Milo James Fowler - A short story sent to me by Milo, one which appears in last April's Bards and Sages Quarterly.

Let's Get Visible by David Gaughran -I downloaded Gaughran's Let's Get Digital from the Kindle Store a couple years ago and found it quite helpful, so I'm expecting more of the same on this followup.




God's Daughter by Heather Day Gilbert - This is inspired by real events surrounding a Christian Viking woman sailing to North America. This is around 1000 A.D. too, so we're talking some serious hardcore Vikings crossing the ocean.

The Blonde by Anna Godbersen -A spy thriller of sorts with some revisionist history thrown in to spice things up, featuring Marilyn Monroe as the main character as she's recruited by Soviet spies to get close to JFK. That's just swell.

We Have Always Fought by Kameron Hurley - This is a collection of Kameron's nonfiction on writing, science fiction, and everything in between. If it's like her fiction and her blog posts, it should be good.


Earthman Jack and the Ghost Planet by Matthew Kadish - This one is supposed to be a bit of a love letter to sci-fi and fantasy shows of the 80s/90s. Harry Potter meets Star Wars? We'll see.

Treasure Coast by Tom Kakonis - A new one from Brash Books described as "'Get Shorty' meets 'No Country for Old Men' on a sunny Florida coast teeming with conmen and killers, the vapid and the vain, and where violent death is just a heartbeat away." ... Hunh. Sounds good to me.

Dominican Baseball by Alan Klein - I won this title from Don Bratschie, the narrator of the audiobook edition. A nonfiction title that explores the influence of MLB on the Domican Republic and vice versa.


Pretty Little Dead Things by Gary McMahon - Much of what I've read of Gary's work has been of the short story and novella variety. All of it good to great. I have a couple of his novels on my bookshelf already, but when I stumbled across a copy of one of his earlier novels at a bargain price, I just couldn't resist.

A Is for Apocalypse edited by Rhonda Parrish - This anthology isn't due to hit shelves until August, but I received an ARC to get a sneak peak. Quite a few familiar names in the ToC too, like Damien Angelica Walters, Milo James Fowler, and Beth Cato.

Death Will Have Your Eyes by James Sallis -Mulholland Books is re-releasing this novel this summer. I haven't read it before, but it's by the fella who wrote Drive, so I'm more than willing to give it a go.


Swamp Monster Massacre by Hunter Shea - Hunter has a new novel out now called The Mantauk Monster, which came about after being contacted by an editor who read and loved this novella. Bigfoot in the swamp, babay!

The Getaway by Jim Thompson -I really want to tear into Thompson's books and this gritty little crime novel sounds like just the kind of book I'd enjoy.

Fight Card: Felony Fists by Jack Tunney - The pseudonymous handle of Jack Tunney has multiple stories up on the Kindle Store by multiple authors. A lot of pulpy, macho action tales, and I managed to snag this one as a freebie a week or two ago.


The Forty First Wink by James Walley - I won this ebook during James' Facebook launch party. A cool-looking fantasy tale published by Ragnarok Publications that's drawn some comparisons to the works of Terry Pratchett. With a fella waking up to find his imagination come to life, my interested in peaked.

Dirty Magic by Jaye Wells -I thoroughly enjoyed Jaye's Sabina Kane series, so I'm curious to see what she takes from her butt-kicking vampire books and applies to her butt-kicking magic-cop book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...