March 28, 2014

Chasing Tale [3/28/14]: Winter Is Staying

Chasing Tale is a recurring feature in which I highlight the books I have received as review copies, freebies, and hidden gems in bookshops and online retailers.

So much for spring. The Atlantic coast got a bit of a reminder that winter doesn't play fair, dumping a brand new heap of snow on top of everything, and throwing in some gale force winds for good measure. Okay, I guess I'll just have to leave the Hawaiin shirts and jean shorts in the closet for a little while longer. Fine by me. My legs are as pale as plucked turkey drumsticks, anyway.

Plus, being cooped up indoors gives me an excuse to read. And I have even more books on my to-be-read pile this week. Have a gander and see if anything catches your eye.


Matador by Ray Banks - This showed up on sale this week. A man wakes up in a shallow grave with no memory and a bullet in his skull. And that's how it opens. Yup. I'm in.

The Pines by Blake Crouch - Another Kindle book I got on sale. I love the idea of a stranger in a strange land, and the Twilight Zone -esque nature of the plot is right up my alley. The first of a trilogy no less.

Hell Up In Houston by Garnett Elliott -This is the second novella in the Drifter Detective series. And the Jack Laramie character is the grandson of Cash Laramie, from another Beat to a PULP series. Ah, synergy.



The Elder Unearthed: Tales of NasNoroth and the Cult of the Elder by Michael W. Garza - This one is a collection of a dozen short stories and poems inspired by H.P. Lovecraft.

Afterparty by Daryl Gregory - Imagine a 3D printer that could replicate illicit drugs. Okay, that might help you imagine the catalyst for this scifi novel in which a designer drug hits the proverbial streets and becomes a new kind of epidemic. Sounds really interesting.

Writers Workshop of Science Fiction and Fantasy edited by Michael Knost -I read Knost's Writers Workshop of Horror a couple years back and really enjoyed it. I imagine this book will be no different in gleaming some useful advice.


White by Tim Lebbon -This award-winning novella is now available as its own ebook. Lebbon is a heckuva writer, so I imagine I'll like this one a fair bit.

Deadly Curiosities by Gail Z. Martin - This is a new book set for early summer with a cool little twist on the urban fantasy genre. Or maybe not. Time will tell. But a curio shop in South Carolina serves as a bit of a Warehouse 13 for smalltown weirdness. Fingers crossed on this one.

Stranded by William Vitka - Looks like this novel is a bit of a prequel to Vitka's Hroza Connection series. I'm always up for an alien invasion every now and then.



Vampires Don't Sparkle edited by Michael West - Here's an anthology from Seventh Star Press that tries to put some bite back in vampires. It's on sale right now, and some proceeds go to cancer research, too.

Deadfolk by Charlie Williams - How about some black comedy noir set in smalltown UK? If anyone can pull it off, I'm guessing it's Charlie Williams.

Deadinburgh by Mark Wilson - I caught this one last week as a freebie, vouched for by Paul D. Brazill, a talented storyteller in his own right. Good enough for me.



Phone Call from Hell and Other Stories by Jonathan Woods - This is a brand new book from New Pulp Press. I can't recall reading Woods' work before, but he's got a bit of praise going for him, and this one looks like it could be really good in the noir department.

Deadly Dozen: 12 Mysteries/Thrillers by various authors - This is another one of those omnibus collections. Twelve books from twelve authors. The two that caught my eye when I saw it on sale were Vincent Zandri and J.F. Penn. For a scant 88 cents, I didn't hesitate downloading it to my Kindle.


4 comments:

  1. I love Daryl Gregory's first three books, so I'm a little jealous right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to say that Deadly Curiosities sounds a lot like the TV show, Friday the Thirteenth: The Series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya know, I never saw that show. Back when it was on, I just brushed it off as a cheap ploy, since Jason never appeared. So far as I know, anyway.

    ReplyDelete