February 10, 2014

Chasing Tale [2/10/14]: All These Boxes Can Eff Off

Chasing Tale is a regular look at the books that I recently added to my to-be-read pile. Some are advance review copies, some I bought from one store or another, and others are freebies from promotional offers that caught my eye.

I just realized that with the prospect of moving, there is a very real chance of getting a hernia or popping a vertebrae trying to carry out the goddamn pile of books I have laying around. The bed, the dresser, the fridge, whatever. I already know they'll be a chore to move. But the books ... oh my lord, the books. I'm not the bookworm equivalent to a cat lady, and I know there are some of you out there who are buried under an even larger pile of books, but I really get the appeal of e-readers. For as many books as I've loaded onto my Kindle--and there are hundreds--the thing is only half full and still as light as it was as the day I got it.

Lemme tell ya, if I wake up some morning surrounded by fire, you can forget the photo albums, forget the clothes, even forget the cat, and you can damn sure forget about the books. The very first thing I'm grabbing before the flames start tickling the hairs on my ass is my Kindle. Done.

Okay, that silly tirade is over. Here's another big effing pile of books to wind up on my TBR pile in recent weeks. Almost all of which are on my Kindle. See how easy that is?

Candy by Lawrence Block (as Sheldon Lord) - This is a book I found on the Kindle Store, but not without considerable effort in digging through Amazon's search engine. Amazon, for some reason, wouldn't just give me a direct link to its product page when I searched the Kindle Store. I had to find it in the Audible listings, then click on the Kindle edition link on the audiobook's product page. Weird.

Guns of Brixton by Paul D. Brazill - A jewelry heist in drag? Oh, I think I might enjoy that. Another crime novella from Brazill just went on my TBR pile.
Wisconsin Vamp by Scott Burtness - As if living in Wisconsin isn't bad enough, try it as a vampire.

The Christmas Ghost Stories of Lawrence Gordon Clark - Okay, so Christmas was a couple months ago. So what? Spectral Press put out a new collection in time for the holidays, this time highlighting short stories by M.R. James and the BBC adaptations by Lawrence Gordon Clark, with a slew of photographs and other information to complement it. At first glance, the book looks amazing and I can't wait to dive into it and get back in the Christmas spirit.

Fight by Brent Coffey - A short novel involving a criminal prosecutor up against the Mafia. Not usually into legal thrillers, but this one sounds like it might spend more time on the streets than in the courtroom.

The Wrong Quarry by Max Allan Collins - Audiobooks are something I've kind of warmed up to ever since I started listening to podcasts. Well, because I need something to listen to while I'm peddling my chubby little butt off on my stationary bike, audiobooks have become a nice distraction. This latest in Collins' Quarry series came out in January through Audible, Inc. and since I haven't read a Quarry novel yet, I thought this might be a cool way to get my toes wet.

Beat to a Pulp: Hardboiled 2 edited by David Cramner & Scott D. Parker - I read the first Hardboiled anthology last year and really enjoyed it, then I saw there was a second anthology when it popped up on my eReaderIQ alerts a while ago. Eric Beetner, Jedidiah Ayres, and Edward A. Grainger are a few of the contributing authors, plus a bunch more who I look forwarding to discovering.

Frankenstorm: Severe Risk by Ray Garton - This is the first installment in Garton's serial novel with a natural disaster of Roland Emerich proportions. Garton's good, and with a title like Frankenstorm, how can I not take this one for a test drive?

Hard Spell and Evil Dark by Justin Gustainis - I recently added the third Occult Crimes novel, Known Devil, to my TBR pile. Not long after that, Justin actually contacted me about reviewing all three of the novels in the series, after he read my review of Chris F. Holm's Dead Harvest. He'll actually be stopping by the blog on February 21st for an interview too, so watch out for that.

Miami Purity by Vicki Hendricks - A modern take on The Postman Always Rings Twice? Alright. Hey, I just need to know Vicki Hendricks wrote it and Megan Abbott sings its praises. It was on sale recently too, so that was the last bit of incentive to hit the buy button.
The Body Project by Kameron Hurley - This is a novelette set in Hurley's Nyx & Co. universe. She had it offered for free online, but I saw it was only 99 cents on the Kindle Store, and since I previously received the first two novels from that series as freebies from her former publisher, shelling out a mere buck is literally the least I could do.

Path of Needles by Alison Littlewood - I won a copy of this thriller from the fine folks at Worlds Without End. I like the idea of this murder mystery incorporating fairy tale elements as part of the murders. If it's been done before, I've never heard of it. Pretty neat twist on the genre, I figure.

The Gentling Box and Deathwatch by Lisa Mannetti - Both of these books have been re-released through Nightscape Press. The Gentling Box is one of my favorite novels from the last five years (or is six by now?), and Deathwatch is a pair of gothic horror novellas that will absolutely make your skin crawl.
Maze by J.M. McDermott - This new novel coming out through Apex Books sounds like a real mind-bender. I can't recall ever reading McDermott's work before, but he has a bit of buzz in his wake with a bunch of short story publications and a debut novel that received some not-so-feint praise. It sounds like it involves a maze that acts as a temporal spiderweb that has ensnared a number of humans left to scratch and claw for survival. Yikes. Oh, and you can check out Joe's guest post by clicking here.
Stork by Shane McKenzie - Here's a novella about a psychologically damaged young woman brainwashed by her grandmother that she has no soul, and tries to start a family of her own. Not exactly sounding like "chick lit" now, is it.

Reality Engineers by Anthony J. Rapino - A new audiobook came out recently via In Ear Entertainment, the same crew that released Exquisite Deaths, which I reviewed last year. It's novella length, so it'll be a relatively quick listen, and given Anthony's track record, it'll be a wild and weird one, too.
Geekomancy by Michael R. Underwood - This nerdy little gem was on sale in January and I just couldn't help myself. Had to get it, especially since I have the sequel, Celebromancy, on my Kindle already.

Noir Nation No. 3: The India Issue edited by Alex Vega - How about a whole slew of noir-themed short stories, but with the added twist that the stories are either set in India or penned by Indian authors? I guess there is a thriving marketplace for crime fiction over there, which is very cool to know, because I just can't sit through a Bollywood film, but I bet I'll find some enjoyable crime stories in this batch.

Conjure by Mark West - I was window shopping the Kindle Store one day and saw this novella by Mark West. Mark wrote a really good novella called The Mill that I reviewed on the blog, so I imagine I'll enjoy this one, too.

A Pale Horse by Adam Wolf -This is actually being released as a serial novel. The link will take you to the first installment.

Nameless: The Darkness Comes by Mercedes M. Yardley - Here's a brand new urban fantasy novel, the first of a trilogy, from a writer who is about ready to break out big, at least in my opinion. She's good and the unholy army that is Ragnarok Publications knows it, and it was extra cool they put it on sale during its first week on the Kindle Store for a mere 99 cents.

Eight the Hard Way by various authors - "Eight thrilling stories from eight masters of suspense." It looks like a diverse mix of mysteries and thrillers, so it should prove interesting.

The Ultimate Supernatural Horror Box Set - Six novels for the price of one. That ain't not bad. This collection includes F. Paul Wilson's Virgin, Jeff Strand's Wolf Hunt, J.A. Konrath's Haunted House, Blake Crouch & Jordan Crouch's Eerie, Scott Nicholson's Speed Dating with the Dead, and Iain Rob Wright's The Final Winter. I already bought four of these, but still: six novels from this bunch on the cheap? Easy.

Not long after I got the first Hiram Grange ebook for free from Shroud Publishing, they promoted the rest of the series as limited-time freebies. I remember listening to an episode of The Funky Werepig where Greg Hall put this series over as some really good, pulpy stuff. A blend of Lovecraft and Fleming? Fantastic. Well, I got 'em all now.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...