November 13, 2013

Wish List Wednesday #148: Jan Kozlowski's "Die, You Bastard! Die!"

WLW is a recurring blog segment in which I highlight a book I have on my wish list. Sometimes it's a new release, sometimes a beloved classic, and sometimes it's a hidden gem.

When it comes to revenge-themed horror, like I Spit On Your Grave and Last House on the Left, blood and guts take a backseat to the stomach-turning violence depicted in drawn out scenes. A knife-wielding maniac might be scary to some, but the evil deeds of ordinary men are what really put fear in me. And I have a feeling that it's the latter that Jan Kozlowski was aiming for when she wrote Die, You Bastard! Die!

The title alone is evocative enough, even in the horror genre. It might also be a divisive one with prospective readers. Some, like me, might be drawn to it for its somewhat unconventional style, using two exclamatory sentences basically, while others might dismiss it as exploitative and prurient. Hey, maybe it can be both.

Anyway, the story of an abuse survivor forced to relive the depravity she suffered as a child is bound to be a visceral one, and it's not usually the kind of story I gravitate towards, but some fellow horror fans have really put this novella over as a quality read.

How about you out there who read horror? When the subject matter gets truly grim, do you tend to steer clear or not?

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...