November 20, 2013

Chasing Tale [11/20/13]: Comic Books As Continuance

Firefly is coming back ... as a comic book from Dark Horse. When I read that about a month ago, I will admit to going a little manga-eyed with delight. I don't tend to squee, but I came close.



Like a lot of fans, I only really became a fan after the TV show had been canceled. I caught a couple of episodes when they originally aired on FOX, but it was so poorly promoted that by the time I saw it and thought it worth watching, FOX had pulled the plug. It was only with the movie, Serenity, that my love for the TV show was fully realized, as I would later hunt down the DVD set. I didn't go fanboy or anything, but I certainly shared in the sense that there was such a lost opportunity with its untimely demise. And I never got the sense, given how Serenity plays out that there would ever be another movie or a return of the series. That movie felt like a swan song. Well, I guess a continuation through a comic book will do just fine.



It makes me wonder what other TV series would benefit from a return in the realm of comics. There was a show starring Carla Cugino called Threshold, which got canceled midway through its first season, if I recall correctly, and I think it had a lot of potential--a bit of a precursor to Fringe too, with its sci-fi/alien invasion storyline. I might be the only person who wants to see that show have some kind of resurgence, though.



Speaking of Fringe, I see Christa Faust has penned a couple of tie-in novels that work as prequels to the series, so why not a comic book series to go along with it? That one might have legs.



Anyway, what are some gone-too-soon shows that you would like to see brought back? Leave a comment and let me know.



Oh yeah, and here are a bunch of books that I added to my to-be-read pile. Check 'em out, then let me know what you've added to your bookshelf lately.





The Girl with the Long Green Heart by Lawrence Block - How about a novel about a long con? This one is an oldie, but a goodie from the 60s or 70s, that's been popping up on my reading recommendations on Goodreads. I found the ebook on the Kindle Store on the cheap too, so that was all the excuse I needed.



The Summer Job by Adam Cesare - This is an ARC from Adam for his next horror novel, set for release through Samhain Horror in early 2014. It's got bad girls, killer cults, and a spooky hotel. That might cause you to think it's a campy schlockfest, but Adam has a knack for twisting tropes like these and turning them into terrifying tales, as evidenced by his short novel, Tribesmen, which wound of being one of my favorite reads of 2012.



The Troop by Nick Cutter - This is another ARC of another novel slated for release in early '14, this one from Simon & Schuster Canada. It already has blurbs from the likes of Stephen King and Scott Smith, and the premise of a scout troop in the wilderness and beset upon by a menacing figure that shambles its way into their campsite already has my hackles up.



Gamification/C-Monkeys by Keith Hollihan - Here's something a little different from Chizine: a flipbook of two novellas with corporate corruption as a common thread. Remember those old Ace doubles and the like? Read one novel, turn the book upside down, and you've got another one to read. Neat idea, although that's just the physical copy with that feature. It'd be really neat if there was a way to do with the ebook editions. Read a story upside-down on my Kindle? Yeah, someone get on that.



Dead Trash by Ed Kurtz - This pulpgasm of a book came out from Evil Jester Press last month and I just had to get me a copy. It's a collection of four novellas. I don't know if they're interconnected, but I know they're all written by Ed Kurtz, and that's all I really need to know.




Try Not to Burn by Michael Matula - Michael stopped by the blog earlier in the month with an excerpt of his debut novel, and along with that I received a review copy on my Kindle.

The Delphi Room by Melia McClure - Imagine Hell for someone who committed suicide. Did you picture being trapped in a room viewing the ill-fated life of the person in the adjacent room, while they can see all the things that led to your suicide? Well, Melia McClure imagined that cosmically macabre idea and wrote this novel. Chizine has published it, which seems appropriate given they are the curators of the weird.

Live Specimens by Kelli Owen - This grizzly little horror novel came last year from one of the most devilishly gifted dark fiction authors to come around in the last few years. This story has a wayward ship crashing along the frozen shores of a small town, unleashing a slew of vicious, genetically engineered creatures on the townsfolk. What I've read of Owen's work so far, I've enjoyed a lot, so this should be good.


Trolling Lures by SteveVernon - Okay, first off, I really like Keith Draws' cover art for this one. Secondly, Steve knows how to make a horror story really effing weird, and I doubt this one will be any exception.



Your Place in the Shadows and Graven Image by Charlie Williams - I grabbed this collection and this novella after one popped up as a recommendation. One more British noir author for me to discover, I suppose. The novella involves a bouncer having to pay a debt to a violent boss and save his young daughter in the process. Sounds good to me.


The Proteus Cure by F. Paul Wilson and Tracy L. Carbone - A medical thriller. That's not exactly my favorite genre, but with F. Paul Wilson's name on the cover, I'm more amenable in giving it a shot. A cure for cancer winds up having some strange side-effects that lead one doctor in a race to stay alive and find answers behind the company responsible for the cure's creation.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...