October 9, 2013

Wish List Wednesday #147: Megan Abbott's "Dare Me"

WLW is a recurring blog segment in which I highlight a book I have on my wish list. Sometimes it's a new release, sometimes a beloved classic, and sometimes it's a hidden gem.

Noir can feel like a bit of a boy's clubhouse sometimes when I'm looking at reading lists, but heck, that can be said about several genres at times. Truth is, however, plenty of women are writing dark, sharp, crime fiction. One such author is Megan Abbott.

Dare Me is a book I heard about last year when the reviews starting showing up on blogs and even a couple podcasts I subscribe to, and it sounded like a sinister and enticing twist of high school hierarchy. The head cheerleader has her tiny kingdom thrown out of whack when a new coach arrives and the flock seems to gravitate to her, sparking a quiet, toxic feud with one of the young cheerleaders caught in the middle.

At first glance it sounds like a cross between Mean Girls and Drop Dead Gorgeous, two movies I really enjoyed. I have a hunch Abbott's story isn't played for laughs though, instead relying on the very visceral emotions that come from navigating a pecking order in high school. Throw in a little murder, and you're cooking with gasoline.

I haven't read Abbott's work yet, but when I do get a chance, I think I'd like to start with this novel. Have you read her work? If so, are you a fan?

No comments:

Post a Comment