October 22, 2013

Chasing Tale (10/22/13): Movies Make Me Sad

Chasing Tale is a regular look at the books that I recently added to my to-be-read pile. Some are advance review copies, some I bought from one store or another, and others are freebies from promotional offers that caught my eye.

Sometimes I feel like an endangered species, that being a reader. I literally had someone tell me she/he isn't going to bother reading Stephen King's new novel, Doctor Sleep. Instead, since it's a pseudo-sequel to The Shining, the person stated he/she will wait for the movie to come out. After wiping the dumbfounded expression from my face, I changed the subject, since I didn't want sparks to shoot out of my ears as my brain short-circuited with reader rage.

Ever had an experience like that, where someone says something to the effect that reading a book is pointless if a movie version is inevitable? Argh.

Anyway, I don't if any of these books will have film adaptations, but no matters, as I intend to read the books before I watch the movies. I'm weird like that.

Darlings of Decay by various authors - This is an anthology with a zombie-theme and a huge page count, featuring an all-female table of contents. And while it looks like half the book is made up of chapter excerpts from various novels, there is still a hefty pile of short stories to be enjoyed.

Dust and Shadow edited by Kealan Patrick Burke - Here's a somewhat slimmer anthology, but the list of contributing writers is impressive, with the likes of Joe McKinney, Nate Kenyon, Scott Nicholson, and others. The only unfamiliar name was that of Maria Alexander, so I'm curious to read her story, since it must be pretty decent to wind up with such a talented horde.

No Reflection and Other Horror Stories by John Caliburn - This is a new short story collection I had sent my way. I think there's eight stories in all, so it's a good, slim book for those interested in taking a chance on a new author.

Butch Fatale, Dyke Dick by Christa Faust - "Butch Fatale is a fast-talking, skirt-chasing, two-fisted lesbian private investigator with an insatiable appetite for two things — women and trouble." That's the first line of the back cover blurb. Yup. Gotta add this one to the TBR pile.

Colt by Jude Hardin - Here's a crime novel that at face value looks to throw everything but the kitchen sink into the plot. There's a plane crash, a missing sperm donor, a stalker ex, a biker gang, rock stars, drug addicts, and a P.I. in the middle of it all. Hope it's good. I liked Jude Hardin's Fire and Ice from the Dead Man series, so fingers crossed.

Dead Earth: The Vengeance Road by Mark Justice and David T. Wilbanks - Zombies and aliens and a small town sheriff in this sequel to the previous Dead Earth story, Green Dawn. Looks like a pulpy gem from Permuted Press.

Ghosts by Paul Kane - Spectral Press is set to release their first short story collection in November, and they're starting with a bang by publishing a slew of short stories by Paul Kane, who knows a thing or two about quality short fiction.
Test of Magnitude by Andy Kasch - Space opera. Not often I add that genre to my bookshelf, despite enjoying scifi movies. Anyway, Andy Kasch has a new novel out as the start of a prospective series called The Torian Reclamation. Odd title choice, but that seems to be the case with a lot of space opera titles I see.

Doctor Sleep by Stephen King - I have been waiting to read this novel ever since Stephen King first mentioned he was writing it. If there is one novel making its way to the tippy-top of my TBR pile, it's this one. An effing sequel to The Shining? Can't wait.

Remains by Michael McBride - This is a novella and it sounds deliciously horrific. A group of religious students head into the wilderness and go missing. Years later, family members visit the site they were supposed to have stayed for definitive answers. I thoroughly enjoyed McBride's Snowblind last year, so I've no doubt I'll get a kick out of this little tale, too.

Old Flames, Burned Hands by Tim McGregor - Tim actually forwarded this review copy of his latest novel about a month ago, along with a guest post that you can find by clicking here. The book's got a cool title and a cool premise too, about a mother whose abandoned days as a rock guitarist come back to haunt her, literally.

Blade of Dishonor by Thomas Pluck - Ninjas! Samurai! Swords! I've got high hopes for this one, because it feels like a lost VHS copy of a 80s action movie. I mean, just look at this book cover.

Stonecast (Spellmason Chronicles 2) by Anton Strout - My socks weren't exactly rocked off by the first Spellmason novel (my review here), but there was enough to enjoy that I'm willing to give the sequel a chance for review, which you should find sometime soon on I Smell Sheep.


  1. I finished Doctor Sleep recently and it was awesome. And sorry to say - it would make a pretty good movie :-)

    Tanya Patrice

  2. I guess the question is: who should direct it?



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...