September 18, 2013

Wish List Wednesday #146: Larry Correia's "Monster Hunter International"

WLW is a recurring blog segment in which I highlight a book I have on my wish list. Sometimes it's a new release, sometimes a beloved classic, and sometimes it's a hidden gem.

It seems there is a veritable horn of plenty if you're a reader craving urban fantasy. No matter how many authors I discover who are writing about monsters, ghosts, and all the rest in a contemporary. setting, there are ten more authors I haven't discovered yet that are doing it, too. One such author pinged on my radar while listening to a sci-fi/fantasy podcast--I forget which one--that recommended Larry Correia and his Monster Hunter International series of books.

Hunting monsters isn't terribly original in the urban fantasy genre, sure, but all it takes is an author who can put their own spin on it, and do it well, and people will read it in droves. And it looks like Correia has quite a following already, even hitting the New York Times bestseller lists with his books. Not too shabby. How the heck did I not hear about him until this past year?

I've read a couple of his short stories that are set in this MHI universe, and there is a great blend of humor, horror, and action. I have a good feeling that I'll enjoy this book and the series as a whole. The trick is making time to dig into Correia's books sometime. For now, I have this book on my wish list, and I'll hopefully hop on the bandwagon in the near future.

How about you? Have you read any books from this series, or any of Correia's other books? If so, leave a comment and let me know what you thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...