September 11, 2013

Wish List Wednesday #145: Mike Resnick's "The Buntline Special"

WLW is a recurring blog segment in which I highlight a book I have on my wish list. Sometimes it's a new release, sometimes a beloved classic, and sometimes it's a hidden gem.

The "weird western" is a genre I've come to appreciate over the last few years. I always dug those old westerns with John Wayne and Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin growing up, so throw in a fantasy or sci-fi element and a guy like me would love westerns all the more, with few exceptions.

While looking for a few more titles to put on my wish list, one author's name came up more than a couple times. Mike Resnick. I've never read his work before, but he has a few Hugo Awards under his belt and quite a fan base, and he also has a weird western series. It starts with a novel called The Buntline Special.

This series has a steampunk twist to it too, so as far as genre goes this is a real hodge-podge. But hey, it's the story that matters, not the category on Amazon. Me, I'm all in favor of blending genres. I was never cut out to be a hardliner, getting bristled by a horror novel with sci-fi elements or a mystery novel with fantasy elements. Just tell me a story and dress it up however you like.

How about you? Do you like genre-mixing or do you just hate it when peas get into your mashed potatoes?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...