August 28, 2013

Wish List Wednesday #144: Seanan McGuire's "Discount Armageddon"

WLW is a recurring blog segment in which I highlight a book I have on my wish list. Sometimes it's a new release, sometimes a beloved classic, and sometimes it's a hidden gem.

I'm not great with pseudonyms, figuring out who really wrote what. So, it really wasn't until last year that I figured out Mira Grant, author of the Newsflesh zombie trilogy, is really Seanan McGuire, author of the October Daye fantasy series. I bought the first Mira Grant book, Feed, and the first October Daye novel, Rosemary and Rue, but I hear Seanan has a new series started up through DAW.

Discount Armageddon is the first novel in her InCryptid series. The cover is definitely more cheesecake than the covers of any of her other books, but I like cheesecake (in moderation). Verity Price is born into a family of cryptozoologists, helping and hunting monsters for the sake of mankind, but all Verity wants to do is dance. All right. Hey, why not. Dancers are athletic, and you're gonna need some cardio is you plan to chase down monsters--or hope to outrun them. Actually, the gal on the cover could pass for a dancer with legs like that, so I guess it's slightly less prurient at second glance. Aw, who am I kidding?

Anyway, Seanan McGuire is a talented wordsmith, urban fantasy is a genre I love, and I just dig monsters, so that's a trifecta in my way of seeing it. That's why I'm putting it on my wish list.

So, does Discount Armageddon strike you as the kind of book you'd go for?

No comments:

Post a Comment