August 7, 2013

Wish List Wednesday #143: Patricia Highsmith's "Strangers on a Train"

WLW is a recurring blog segment in which I highlight a book I have on my wish list. Sometimes it's a new release, sometimes a beloved classic, and sometimes it's a hidden gem.

It's one thing when you find out a book you liked is being made into a movie, but it's something else altogether when you find out a movie you liked is based on a book you didn't even knew existed. Such is the case with Strangers on a Train.

Chalk it up to ignorance that I didn't find out until earlier this year that Alfred Hitchcock's classic movie is based on a classic noir novel, penned by Patricia Highsmith. The same author who wrote The Talented Mr. Ripley. How could that rather not-tiny detail escape me until 2013? It's one of Hitchcock's most iconic films. Bah, I know now--and according to G.I., Joe knowing is half the battle.

Now all I have to do is find a copy. Is it on the Kindle Store? I'll have to check that out. Surely, there are well-worn paperbacks scattered across the countryside in hole-in-the-wall bookshops.

Anyway, I'm wondering what books or movies have surprised you like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment