June 5, 2013

Wish List Wednesday #139: Stephen King's "Doctor Sleep"

WLW is a recurring blog segment in which I highlight a book I have on my wish list. Sometimes it's a new release, sometimes a beloved classic, and sometimes it's a hidden gem.

The next Stephen King novel isn't due to be published for a while yet, but I've got it on my wish list. I put it there when the man was only entertaining the idea of even writing it. A vague idea of a sequel to The Shining, one of his most iconic novels, and the man wanted to write a sequel. Sequels in film can be cringe-worthy, but I've found I'm much more receptive to book sequels over the years. So while some might be grimacing at the idea of a followup to The Shining, I'm on board.

It's called Doctor Sleep and catches up with the young boy who survived that hellish winter in the Overlook Hotel. Set in present day, Danny Torrance is all grown up and discovers there is a young girl with the shining gift and she is the target of a marauding band of demons that feed on the shining. Gah, gimme, gimme, gimme!

I have a suspicion this is going to be another of King's drawn-out tomes, which he seems to have grown fond up for the last several years. Hey, I won't complain if the story holds up. Aside from Under the Dome, it's suited him fine by my reckoning. And the way the different facets of this novel are teased in the plot summary for this book, as I read on Goodreads, make the book sound absolutely riveting. I just have to be careful to not set myself up for disappointment.

So, what about you? Is this a book that you have your eye on?

2 comments:

  1. Am I the only one struck by the coincidence that his son has a book where "The House of Sleep" figures prominently, as in NOS4A2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward to it...but that cover IS THE WORST! Uhg...the designer needs a punch in the face.

    ReplyDelete