May 1, 2013

Wish List Wednesday #136: Joe R. Lansdale's "Edge of Dark Water"


WLW is a recurring blog segment in which I highlight a book I have on my wish list. Sometimes it's a new release, sometimes a beloved classic, and sometimes it's a hidden gem.

It's only been a few years since I first read a Joe R. Lansdale novel, but it only took one to figure out the man was a heckuva storyteller. And I've been slowly working my way through his expansive list of books ever since.

Well, Mulholland Books published one of his novels last year that has been praised up and down as one of his very best efforts. Heck, even Joe Lansdale himself has expressed how he feels its a watermark in his writing. That's more than enough reason to put Edge of Dark Water on my wish list.

A trio of friends yearning to break free of their existence in east Texas decide to take the ashes of their dead friend to Hollywood where the teen girl had dreamed of becoming a movie star. But on their trail is a hired killer and others after the buried loot to which their friend had a map. I caught a blurb for this book somewhere that described it as half Deliverance and half Huckleberry Finn. Yeah, I gotta read this book.

So, what do you think? Have you read this novel, and if so are you in the camp of those who say it's one of Lansdale's best?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...