January 23, 2013

Wish List Wednesday #129: Lee Thompson's "Within This Garden Weeping"

WLW is a recurring blog segment in which I highlight a book I have on my wish list. Sometimes it's a new release, sometimes a beloved classic, and sometimes it's a hidden gem.

Last year, I sat down and read what is essentially the very first book in Lee Thompson's Division Mythos series of stories, Before Leonora Wakes. It was a coming-of-age dark fantasy novella about a young boy and his imaginary friend out to save a young girl. I thought it was one of the best novellas I read last year--heck, one of the best stories I read last year, period. Well, while Lee has quite a few books published within that universe, I've been awaiting the arrival of the direct followup to Leonora, and it looks like it is finally here.

Within This Garden Weeping rejoins Red Piccirilli in the wake of the first book. Here's the pitch in Lee's words:

Still recovering from his brush with the magical, Red Piccirilli’s parents move them out of town and down a dead-end road where they feel things will be safe and quiet for their son. But when a strange old man with an agenda visits Red’s mother, the boy is quickly thrust into another world. He’ll learn from a broken god how to harness the incredible power that has been lying dormant since his last encounter with Glory on the Green…

If you read my review for Leonora, then you ought to know that I'm sold on this idea. Lee is a heckuva writer and I'm eager to see what the next chapter has in store for Red Piccirilli.

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to go look up the first novella. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, bud! Hope you dig it. The novel that follows that, coming out later this year from Darkfuse, is brutal but wraps up Red Piccirilli's young life well and shapes him into who he is as an old man in Nursery Rhymes 4 Dead Children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Midnyte - It's a good'n.

    Lee - Truth be told, I have bought this one, but had already written and scheduled this blog post by the time I'd bought it. In any event, I'll work my way towards Nursery Rhymes eventually. :)

    ReplyDelete