January 25, 2013

Chasing Tale: It's a good thing e-books don't weigh much, because ...

Chasing Tale is a regular look at the e-books I've recently downloaded and added to my to-be-read pile. Some are review copies forwarded to me, some are purchases from Amazon's Kindle Store or elsewhere, and others are freebies that caught my eye.

No time for chit-chat. Too many books. This is the last batch of review copies, freebies, and bargains I got so far this winter. Check 'em out (links go to Amazon.com):

Seasons of Insanity by Gill Ainsworth and Frank W. Haubold - I think I'll count this as my January pick towards my 2013 New Year's resolution. I wanted to read more work by international authors, and Frank Haubold is from Germany, so there ya go. Thanks to Apex Books for the ARC.

Quarry by Max Allan Collins - I haven't read much of Collins' work beyond a couple short stories, so early in the month when there was a 99 cent sale from some of the TopSuspense Group, I decided to buy this book and give it a go.

Sacrifice by John Everson - This was originally published by Dorchester years ago, but now has a new home with Amazon's 47North, so Everson's chances at royalty payments just got a lot better. I believe it's a followup to Covenant, which I read and enjoyed back in 2009, so it's about time I added another of his books to my shelf.

They and Shapeshifter by J.F. Gonzalez - I've never read Gonzalez's work before, but I've heard his name bandied about on occasion by the likes of Brian Keene and other stalwarts of the horror crowd. A few of his books were on sale over the holidays, and I thought these two looked enticing.

An Image of Death by Libby FischerHellmann - This is the first in a mystery series, of which I have the second book sitting on my TBR pile, so it was nice to get this one for a buck after seeing a notification from Scott Nicholson about it as part of the Epic Kindle Giveaway.

Alone by Brian Keene - I already bought Keene's other novella, Scratch, in December, but when this was on sale over the holidays I just had to get it, too.

God Save the Queen by Kate Locke - I've seen the cover for this book on so many book blogs I lost count. It didn't appeal to me at first glance, but after reading a couple reviews, and seeing the thumbs up from talented authors like Jaye Wells and Phillipa Ballantine, then saw it on sale from Orbit Books, I decided to buy it and give it a chance.

Forever Man by Brian W. Matthews - When I received the Journalstone newsletter in mid-December, it included a couple links to some free fiction, including this new novel that is set for release early this year.

What the Dark Brings and Hope for the Wicked by Edward Lorn - Ed is coming into his own it seems, with Dastardly Bastard and a couple shorter works hitting the market last year, so maybe he'll have a breakout year in 2013. These two books have already been added to my review pile.

Angel Board by Kristopher Rufty - Samhain's horror line features another debut novelist, this time an independent filmmaker turned author. This book was offered free the week before Christmas, so I figured I could download it and give it a go some time in the new year.

Scavengers: A Zombie Novel by Nate Southard - While I was scooping up Kindle books at a buck a pop on Boxing Day, I stumbled across this novel. I've never read one of Nate's novels before, but I've been meaning to, so I figured this was as good a place to start as any.

The Serial Killer's Wife and The Inner Circle by Robert Swartwood - I've read a couple of Robert's books, liked them, and already have a couple more, but when they're cheap, they're irresistible. Like other authors, Robert had some of his books priced cheap over the holidays, so I scooped these two up.

Within This Garden Weeping by Lee Thompson - This is the followup to Lee's novella, Before Leonora Wakes, which I thoroughly enjoyed. He put his protagonist, Red Piccirilli, through the ringer the first time around, so god only knows what's in store with this book. I actually blogged about this book just a couple days ago (WLW#129).

Fat Vampire by JohnnyB. Truant - I'm a podcast junkie and one of my recent discoveries is the Self Publishing Podcast, co-hosted by Johnny B. Truant, so when he offered up his quirky novella for free during the holidays, I thought I'd get it. Heck, it's got a catchy title.

Westlake Soul by Rio Youers - Chizine Publications doesn't disappoint when it comes to the books they publish. And when it comes to this novel, I've seen it recommended by enough people to at least add it to my TBR pile.

Butterfly Potion by Trent Zelazny - Nightscape Press offered a couple freebies over the holidays and this novella caught my eye. Credit a link from Joe McKinney and a blurb from Neil Gaiman in peaking my interest. Pretty nice cover, too.

L.A. Noire: The Collected Stories from Rockstar Games - This is a little anthology that came out at the same time as a video-game of the same name, but back then I couldn't buy the book because it had one of those regional restrictions on the Kindle Store. Then, by sheer coincidence, it popped up on my "recommendation" list for a buck on Boxing Day, and when I got to its product page the regional restriction was lifted.


My Kindle weighs more; that's how many e-books I've collected this winter. What books did you buy this month?

No comments:

Post a Comment