December 5, 2012

Wish List Wednesday #127: Anton Strout's "Alchemystic"

WLW is a recurring blog segment in which I highlight a book I have on my wish list. Sometimes it's a new release, sometimes a beloved classic, and sometimes it's a hidden gem.

If you made a list of under-utilized monsters in the urban fantasy genre, I'd wager the gargoyle ranks pretty high on that list. Enter Anton Strout and his new series, The Spellmason Chronicles.
Alchemystic tells the story of a privileged New York City artist, Alexandra Belarus, who is saved by a gargoyle when attacked on the city streets. Turns out the gargoyle was created by her great-great-grandfather who was--you guessed it--a spellmason. Without even reading it, I get the sense that there is some kind of romantic element between Alexandra and her gargoyle, which judging by the Ace book cover moonlights as an underwear model. Hey, it's urban fantasy, so even a faint romantic entanglement is expected. I'm just hoping that with the apparent lighthearted tone of the book that it doesn't get too silly.

I quite enjoy Strout's podcast, The Once and Future Podcast, which features fun and informative interviews with a myriad of authors from week to week. But I've never read one of his novels, and with him starting a new series, I think this would be a good spot to test the waters.

When it comes to authors who podcast, and podcasters who write, are there any such books that you have your eye on?

1 comment:

  1. I thought it was an interesting story even though I wasn't WOW'd by it. It's the first in a series so that's pretty normal though. Be prepared for younger sounding characters though. This felt very 'new adult' to me. Hope you get a copy soon!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...