December 18, 2012

Fave Five of 2012: Anthologies & Collections

A really good year for short fiction, thank you very much. I had the opportunity to read numerous collections and anthologies, even appear in a couple of them (shameless plug: Fading Light; Stupefying Stories; Arcane 2). There are quite a few other books in this category I could highlight as recommendations, but I'm keeping these year-end lists brief with only five. And to think, there are many more that were released through the year that I haven't had a chance to read yet. I'll save those for next year's list, perhaps.

Anyway, here are five great books of short fiction that I'll recommend to readers without hesitation:

Blood and Other Stories edited by Ellen Datlow - An anthology about vampires and other parasitic relationships, this is yet another example that a book with Ellen Datlow's name on it is a must-have.

Still Life by Nicholas Kaufmann - One of the smaller collections I read this year, but an impactful one all the same. The nine stories in this book exemplify Nick's ability to pull a reader in, go "Clockwork Orange" on their imagination, and make them beg for more.

House of Fear edited by Jonathan Oliver - I'm a sucker for a haunted house story, so it's no wonder I thoroughly enjoyed this anthology, which featured stories from authors who I count among my favorites, like Joe Lansdale, and others who are well on their way, like Weston Ochse.


Every House Is Haunted by Ian Rogers - Ian's collection of stories run from riveting monster fare to understated gothic, with many featuring a haunting Canadian backdrop. If you think we Canucks can't write horror, then you're not reading the right books. Start with this one.

Demons edited by John Skipp - This anthology acts as a bit of a timeline on horror and dark fantasy that features some truly disturbing (and a couple humorous) demonic tales. New authors, established authors, and even legendary authors make appearances in this one.

1 comment:

  1. I've only read one of those (House Of Fear) but agree with, was excellent. I'll have to check out some of your others suggestions.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...