November 14, 2012

Wish List Wednesday #124: Damien W. Grintalis' "Ink"

WLW is a recurring blog segment in which I highlight a book I have on my wish list. Sometimes it's a new release, sometimes a beloved classic, and sometimes it's a hidden gem.

I don't have a tattoo. I've been tempted to get one a couple times in my life, but I don't go through with it because of the permanence. What the heck would I get anyway? I have never been able to think of anything that I'd want etched onto my skin for life. Chalk it up to commitment issues. And I've seen way too many ugly tattoos to ever want to roll the dice on getting one of my own if I could settle on something.

With that in mind, tattoos are a neat idea for a horror story in my line of thinking. So, leave it to Damien Walters Grintalis to make her debut novel about a tattoo. I'm a fan of Damien's short fiction, picking it up here and there in anthologies and online mags, and am keen to describe her as "deviously talented." So, I was quite pleased to hear Samhain was publishing her debut novel, Ink.

Ink concerns a young man who gets the perfect tattoo, a griffin etched along the length of his arm, which turns out to be alive--and hungry. And the man's life winds up linked to the tattoo, so it's not like he can just kill it. And removing it seems out of the question, since the parlor where he got it is gone. Now, this sounds like the kind of story I'll enjoy. The last horror story I can remember involving a tattoo was some cheesy 80s flick (I think Scott Backula was in it) about a back tattoo that kept growing. I could go for a story that's done right, and I reckon Ink is just what I need.

So, who's got a nightmare tattoo story? Anyone have buyer's remorse for a tattoo they got in their youth--or maybe mid-life crisis?

No comments:

Post a Comment