November 7, 2012

Wish List Wednesday #123: Dave Zeltserman's "Monster: A Novel of Frankenstein"

WLW is a recurring blog segment in which I highlight a book I have on my wish list. Sometimes it's a new release, sometimes a beloved classic, and sometimes it's a hidden gem.

I hadn't heard tell of Dave Zeltserman until Ellen Datlow listed The Caretaker of Lorne Field among her reading recommendations in one of her "Best of" anthologies. The title was catchy, the premise was right up my alley, and the novel inevitably left me gobsmacked. It was brilliant. So when I found out that Overlook was publishing another of his novels, and this time it was going to revolve around Frankenstein's monter, I knew I had to put it on my wish list.

Monster takes the point of view of the monster, a young man convicted of a crime he didn't commit, ultimately suffering a grizzly and untimely demise, then finding himself resurrected in the laboratory of Dr. Frankenstein.

When I was a kid, my introduction to Frankenstein came from the old Universal black-and-whites--well, that and The Hilarious House of Frankenstein--so when I eventually read the Mary Shelley novel, I was astounded by how much more vibrant Frankenstein's monster really was. He wasn't some lumbering undead knuckle-dragger, but a vicious and highly intelligent nemesis to Dr. Frankenstein. With that in mind, I am definitely eager to see what Dave does with these characters.

So, any Frankenstein fans out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...