November 29, 2012

Chasing Tale - Kindle Edition (11/29/12): Greg F. Gifune, Michael Marano, Cherie Priest ...

Chasing Tale is a regular look at the e-books I've recently downloaded and added to my to-be-read pile. Some are review copies forwarded to me, some are purchases from Amazon's Kindle Store or elsewhere, and others are freebies that caught my eye.

It's nearly the end of the year, which means it's just about time for everyone and their mom to put out their "Best of 2012" lists. I must admit, I have a few lined up to appear on the blog in a couple weeks. One thing I noticed while going through the books I've read this year is that I have read more novellas this year than novels. I can thank my Kindle for that, as getting a paperback novella is effing hard to come by unless you're willing to pay through the nose. Bemoan the digital age all you want, but I'm inclined to believe Amazon--as the e-book leader--has opened the doors wide open for shorter fiction to find an audience.

One thing I'm going to have to try out in 2013 is read one of those thousand page tomes on my Kindle. I know there is a gigantic anthology by Ann and Jeff Vandermeer called The Weird, which collects countless short stories from horror, scifi, and fantasy writers that all fall under the "weird" umbrella. While the physical book would be a fantastic collection piece, I doubt it would be all that comfortable lumbering it around to read. Like leafing through a cement slab, I imagine. There's are digital versions, so maybe I'll pull the trigger and get that in the new year.

In the mean time, I have added more e-books to my Kindle. And they are:

Occultation by Laird Barron - I remember Ellen Datlow giving this book high praise, plus I've enjoyed a few of Laird's stories in anthologies that I've read, so I figured it was a bargain when this collection of eight stories was on sale briefly a few months ago.

Bound by Jade (Sam Truman Mystery #4) by Adam Cesare - Abattoir Press forwarded along the fourth installment of the Sam Truman Mysteries, which is penned by the talented Adam Cesare. I'm looking forward to checking this one out, though I wonder if I'm going to need to read the second and third installments beforehand.

Catching Hell and Gardens of Night by Greg F. Gifune - The former is a novella re-released by Samhain Horror, the latter is a novel from Uninvited Books. Both look very promising in the literary horror department.

Dragonslayer by Casey Hollingshead - Epic fantasy. It's a genre I've tried a few times before, and it's never been an overly enjoyable experience. I cracked open a Tolkein novel and tossed it out of frustration. So it was with slight trepidation I accepted a review copy of this one, the initial hook being that it's from the viewpoint of an outlawed orc.

Personal Demons by Gregory Lamberson - The first book in the Jake Helman series, this book sees a disgraced NYPD officer heading up security at a genetic-engineering facility that's partaking in some very shady--and very scary--secret projects.

Stories from the Plague Years by Michael Marano - Chizine is coming out with a limited edition TPB of this collection that was originally published by Cemetery Dance a while back, and I was given a PDF review copy. It looks promising and I've had good luck with horror collections this year, so let's hope this keeps the streak alive.

The Red Empire and Other Stories by Joe McKinney - This is one I have been meaning to get ever since it was released early in the year. I've read a couple of Joe's stories in different spots, so I'm optimistic about this collection.

The Damned by William Ollie - This book sounds like a Rapture tale without the Rapture. A young man wakes up in a rehab center with a world gone to Hell. The beginning of the books sounds reminiscent of 28 Days Later, a movie I really enjoyed, so I'll cross my fingers on this book.

Four Legs in the Morning by Norman Prentiss - Cemetery Dance released this e-book a while back, and it's been recommended to me more than once. It's a trio of short stories presented as a series.

Clementine by Cherie Priest - I have Priest's Boneshaker on my wish list (WLW#51), but when this ebook set in the same universe went on sale on the Kindle Store in October, I couldn't resist. I just wonder if I need to read the preceding books before getting around to this one.

Space Eldritch edited by Nathan Shumate - Nathan sent me an e-ARC of this scifi/horror anthology. I've said it before and I'll say it again: the best scifi is horror scifi. And with Nathan's eye for stories, as evidenced with previous editing gigs, I'm optimistic for this one.

Haunting Obsession by R.J. Sullivan - With some pretty clear winks and nods to Marilyn Monroe, this novella has a geeky guy buy a coveted piece of memorabilia instead of a birthday gift for his girlfriend. Pack your bags, buddy. You're going on a guilt trip.

There's what I've added to my to-be-read pile lately. What's new on your pile?

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...