November 13, 2012

Chasing Tale - Kindle Edition (11/14/12): Nate Kenyon, Ronald Malfi, Michael West ...

Chasing Tale is a regular look at the e-books I've recently downloaded and added to my to-be-read pile. Some are review copies forwarded to me, some are purchases from Amazon's Kindle Store or elsewhere, and others are freebies that caught my eye.

Thanksgiving is almost here. Well, it's almost there--in America. We Canadians already had our Thanksgiving. Ours was a quiet affair in contrast to how our neighbors to the south celebrate. Perhaps if we had what I call the "football industrial complex" the way the U.S. does, we might make a bigger deal of it up here. As it stands, we're content to get together for a little turkey dinner and family squabbling. For me, if I'm to be thankful for anything, it would have to be the end of the U.S. election hullabaloo. Much like the time between American Thanksgiving and Christmas, we've been afforded a day or two of breathing room before the parade of pundits start anew, this time for the 2014 midterm elections. Gah!

One thing I'm definitely thankful for is my Kindle, which spares me from having to heft gigantic hardcovers or go bleary-eyed reading from my laptop. As for the books, here are ten more e-books that have been added to my to-be-read pile:

Extraordinary Rendition by Paul Batista - There are some genres I just don't gravitate towards, among them are political thrillers and legal thrillers, so combining the two in a sense seems like bad news for me. But I always want to read outside my comfort zone, and this novel about a lawyer tasked with defending an alleged banker for Al Qaeda at least looks interesting.

Midsummer by Matthew J. Costello - I have Matthew's novels, Vacation and Home, on my wish list already, but when Cemetery Dance re-released Midsummer as an e-book this summer, I scooped it up sight unseen. It was cheap, plus the premise of a small town falling under the influence of an evil presence is something I'm a sucker for, so fingers crossed. I saw the old cover on Goodreads from the 1990 edition through Diamond/Charter and it's hideous. If nothing else, CD has upgraded the aesthetics.

Prime by Nate Kenyon - I put this scifi novella on my wish list a while back (WLW#84). Since then, Nate has released this author's preferred edition. Cool. I'm not sure what the difference is between the original release and this newer one, but I'm willing to bet it's for the better.

Via Dolorosa by Ronald Malfi - Another release, this time put out by Abattoir Press, Malfi's 2006 novel deals with a war veteran's ghosts--figurative and literal--coming back to haunt him as he tries to keep his marriage together and complete a mural for the Paradis d'Hotel. I first heard of Malfi a year or two back when praise for his novel, Floating Staircase, permeated through the horror blogs.

Chronic Fear by Scott Nicholson - I may not have read Scott's sci-fi thriller, Liquid Fear, yet, but that didn't stop me from downloading the follow-up novel this summer. Brain-altering drugs, government conspiracies, a facility called the Monkey House, it sounds like a bit of a departure from the southern gothic stories I'm used to from Scott. I may just read both back-to-back now.

Valley of the Dead by Kim Paffenroth - This is a book I've had on my wish list for quite some time (WLW#6). Dante's Inferno with a starkly horrific bent, and zombies a plenty. Permuted Press had it on sale this summer, reminding me it was on my wish list, so I snatched it up.

Dead Ringer by Allen Wyler - I haven't had the chance to read and review Allen's previous novel, Dead End Deal, but I still received a review copy of its follow-up. This one deals with the black market on body parts, which I first heard about a few years ago with Chinese death row inmates supposedly getting fast-tracked in order to harvest organs. Cozy thought, eh?

Winning the City Redux by Theodore Weesner - There seems to be a bit of a Weesner renaissance happening this year, as this is the third review copy of one of his books I've received. It says something of my to-be-read pile that the first is just nearing the top of the queue. This particular novel deals with a fifteen-year-old boy growing up Detroit during the 60s and using basketball as a getaway from a pretty terrible homelife.

The Mill by Mark West - After being thoroughly impressed by Mark's chapbook from Spectral Press, What Gets Left Behind, I now have this novelette to my review pile. This one also concerned a haunting of sorts, as a widower suffers visions of his wife luring him to the afterlife. If it's as good as Left Behind, I'll be pleased.

Spook House by Michael West - Last year, Michael had a ghostly romp called Cinema of Shadows. One year later, his followup spookfest Spook House is ready to haunt bookshelves and e-readers alike. This time around it's set on an abandoned farmhouse where some really atrocious shenanigans went on. Michael did a good job making an old movie theater scary in last year's offering, so I wonder how he'll try to outdo himself with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...