September 12, 2012

Wish List Wednesday #120: Fran Friel's "Mama's Boy and Other Dark Tales"

WLW is a recurring blog segment in which I highlight a book I have on my wish list. Sometimes it's a new release, sometimes a beloved classic, and sometimes it's a hidden gem.

Apex Publications has a great track record as far as I'm concerned, so far as publishing some very good books. I've read a half-dozen or more and I haven't been disappointed yet. So when I heard that Fran Friel had a short story collection, then heard it was published by Apex, that cinched its spot on my wish list.

I've read a few of Fran's stories here and there, and there's little doubt as to why she's as accomplished as she is. The fact she has a penchant for horror literature makes it all the better. I haven't actually read one of her books before though, and I suspect I should probably start with Mama's Boy and Other Dark Tales. It's a collection of fourteen of her short stories and poems, including her Stoker Award nominated novella, Mama's Boy.

Now, I'm not a fan of poetry. I don't hate the stuff, but given the choice I'll stick with the stories. Still, I am won over from time to time, and if Fran is as good with the poetry as she is with the stories, I'm more than willing to give it a chance.

Any poetry fans out there? How do like it when authors blend poetry with fiction?

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...