June 6, 2012

Wish List Wednesday #116: Genevieve Valentine's "Mechanique"

WLW is a recurring blog segment in which I highlight a book I have on my wish list. Sometimes it's a new release, sometimes a beloved classic, and sometimes it's a hidden gem.

It would seem stories involving the circus are in vogue lately. Maybe they've always been and I just haven't noticed. A couple books I saw get mentioned again and again last year were Erin Morgenstern's The Night Circus and Mechanique by Genevieve Valentine.

I actually have both books on my wish list, but I just wanted to highlight Mechanique because, well, it's got robots. Sort of. See, I have three loves: monsters, ghosts, and robots. So, if a book has any one of those three things, chances are I'm gonna wanna read it. In this case, a troupe of mechanical performers travel a war-torn world entertaining the masses until they're trapped between both sides of the war, and a more personal war builds within the troupe's own ranks.

Quite a few of the blogs and sites I frequent seemed to enjoy it, so I figure I would too. Have you read it yet? If so, what did you think of it?

Are there any circus-themed books that you've enjoyed over the years, that you'd recommend?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...