May 16, 2012

Wish List Wednesday #114: Alex Bledsoe's "Blood Groove"

WLW is a recurring blog segment in which I highlight a book I have on my wish list. Sometimes it's a new release, sometimes a beloved classic, and sometimes it's a hidden gem.

One of my favorite novels of 2011 was The Hum and the Shiver by Alex Bledsoe. I originally heard about Alex when I read a review for his vampire novel, The Girls with Games of Blood, which sounded really promising. The trouble was that it was the sequel to another book called Blood Groove.

Now, vampires are just a tad overdone, but even I will admit to being a sucker for a good twist on the trope--or even just a well-written book with no twist. This one sounds interesting, as an Irish vampire gets staked to death in 1915, then wakes up in Memphis circa 1975. He's a bit of a fish out of water and falls in with the only other vampires he meets, a group of teenagers whose only knowledge of vampires comes from exploitation films. Together they have to find out who is behind a new street drug that appears to kill vampires.

With the characters, the settings, and the plot, I think there is a lot of potential for a very fun, very engaging read. It and its sequel sound like the kind of story that's right up my alley.

How about you: what vampires novels do you have on your wish list at the moment? Or are you done with the bloodsuckers?

No comments:

Post a Comment