May 9, 2012

Chasing Tale in May - Kindle Edition (5/10/12): Abomination Magazine, Tonia Brown, Barry Napier, ...

Chasing Tale is a regular look at the e-books I've recently downloaded and added to my to-be-read pile. Some are review copies forwarded to me, some are purchases from Amazon's Kindle Store or elsewhere, and others are freebies that caught my eye.

Do Kindles get bogged down by the more ebooks you download onto them? I only ask because it seems my Kindle, which is only a few months old, chugs when I open up a new e-book to read. Flipping pages is fine, but ever since the little guy started amassing an army of e-books, he's been about as quick as cold molasses. Am I alone here or is this just the status quo with e-readers?

Anyway, here are even more books added to the Kindle:

On Unfaithful Wings by Bruce Blake - I downloaded this as a freebie off the Kindle Store after Bruce hit me up for a review. A story about an angel trying to get his life back by harvesting enough souls for Heaven sounds interesting enough for me to give it a chance.

Skin Trade by Tonia Brown - Tonia has a blog tour coming up soon to promote her new book, and she'll be stopping by the blog with a guest post. I've got this advanced review copy with its gruesome cover, and I get the distinct feeling the tone with be a lot different from her zombie-rotica novel, Lucky Stiff, and her steampunk novella series, Railroad.

The Brotherhood of Piaxia by Michael Drakich - Epic fantasy ain't exactly my bag, but I've read a couple books with varying levels of enjoyment. Michael gave me a review copy of his new novel for when the time comes for me to give the genre another chance.

Abomination Magazine #1 edited by Corey J. Goldberg - It's always good to see a new market crop up for short horror fiction, so when I was offered a review copy of Abomination's inaugural issues, I just had to give it a look-see.

A Satan Carol by Alan Kessler - I haven't a clue what this book is about precisely, but I do love the Dickens classic, so the idea of a horror-tinged variation does sound interesting.

Born of Blood by S.B. Knight - I received a PDF review copy of this darkly-themed short novel. I'm not able to glean too much from the back cover. Something about a young woman caught between two sides in a battle that's involved her family for generations. Hey, why not.

The Hollows by Barry Napier - Barry's latest novel hit the Kindle Store a few weeks ago, and I was probably one of the first cats to download it. I've read two of his novels so far (liked the first one and really liked the second one), so I'm optimistic about this one.

Cemeteries of the Heart by Grant Palmquist - Grant sent me a review copy of this short story collection. I see he's got a book cover by Jeroen Ten Berge, whose name I've seen as cover designer on more than a couple e-books over the last year or so. The guy has a flare, so I hope the stories follow suit.

Quintessence of Dust by Craig Wallwork - Craig is another author generous enough to offer a copy of his short story collection. No idea what to expect from this book, but I will say I had to look up "quintessence" on my laptop dictionary. I know "quintessential," but I wanted to be sure. I guess I need to restock my word-of-the-day toilet paper.


That's what I downloaded. So, what have you got on your e-reader?




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...