April 25, 2012

Wish List Wednesday #113: Jennifer Pelland's "Machine"

WLW is a recurring blog segment in which I highlight a book I have on my wish list. Sometimes it's a new release, sometimes a beloved classic, and sometimes it's a hidden gem.

Sci-fi is one of those genres I always say I'm going to read more of, but I always seem to let it fall to the wayside when I'm looking for an interlude between review commitments. There is one book I am eager to read this year that falls into the sci-fi category.

Jennifer Pelland is an author who I am only familiar with through a couple of short stories I've read in anthologies. One was especially impressive, which appeared in the Apex anthology, Dark Faith. Well, Apex has published her new novel, Machine.

I really like the premise for the book. A woman has her consciousness downloaded into a bioandroid while waiting for the cure to a genetic disorder that is killing her real body. Going through life inside the artificial body not only has its consequences physically, but culturally too, as strangers, co-workers, and even her wife see her differently. The longer she goes through life as a bioandroid, she even begins to see herself differently and begins exploring the boundaries and liberating effects of inhabiting a machine.

Sounds cool to me. Have you heard about this book? Does it sound like something you'd want to read?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...