April 11, 2012

Wish List Wednesday #112: Ania Alhborn's "Seed"

This is a recurring blog segment in which I highlight a book on my wish list. Sometimes it's a new release, sometimes a beloved classic, and sometimes it's a hidden gem.

One of the things I love about having an e-reader is that I don't have to worry about the disintegration of the horror genre with regards to mass market paperbacks. Sci-fi and fantasy are still getting by in that department, but I'll be damned if I can find a horror novel in a brick-and-mortar bookstore anymore. Enter the Kindle Store. And there's been a horror title that's been popping up on my Kindle Store recommendations again and again for months. Those recommendations are hit-or-miss, so I haven't been in a hurry to grab it, even for a dollar.

It's called Seed by Ania Alhborn and the cover is gorgeous. That, all by itself, puts it head and shoulders above 90% of the other self-published e-books for sale. But a great cover does not a good story makes. I needed some word of mouth from others who devour horror. And thanks to the fine folks at Dreadful Tales, I read a really good interview they did with Ania (click here to read that), and that settled it for me. I've got this on my wish list and I would have downloaded it already, but in that interview Ania mentioned the book is being re-edited and an updated version will be released in the summer. I figure I can afford to wait until this revamped edition of the book comes out, then I can add it to my to-be-read pile.

Give me your opinion. How timid are you when it comes to buying a cheap e-book from an author you've never heard of? Have you lucked out and bought one that really wowed you?

1 comment:

  1. I read Seed after seeing it pop up in the 'recommended reads' section in Amazon. The cover was cool, so I gave it a chance.

    I really enjoyed the book. It's well written and disturbing. I've sampled a lot of other books in the horror genre and for the most part, ninety percent of it is bad. Five percent is good (or competently written) and the other five percent is extremely good.

    'Seed' falls into that last category, proving two adages at once:

    1) word of mouth will always be the best promotion of a book, for both authors and readers

    2) No matter how many books are out there, the good ones will rise to the surface while the drek will sink into obscurity.

    Take a chance on an unknown author. Sample their work for free. True talent is out there, fighting for eyeballs amongst all the bad shite.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...