March 16, 2012

Evolution of the Demon Squad: a guest post by Tim Marquitz

Tim Marquitz is the author of the gritty urban fantasy series, Demon Squad. The series is about as balls-to-the-wall as you can get, with the second book, Resurrection, making it onto my list of ten favorite novels of 2011.

You can check out my reviews for the first two books in the series, Armageedon Bound and Resurrection, or you can check out what Tim has to say about his books and his affinity for urban fantasy.

 
Evolution of the Demon Squad
by Tim Marquitz

A few years back, I was oblivious; utterly.

Raised in the worlds of Dungeons and Dragons and the Lord of the Rings, and perpetuating my misconceptions of fantasy by reading mostly horror, I was surprised to stumble across the genre of dark/urban fantasy. It was as if I’d worn blinders my whole life and had them ripped away when I stumbled across the Dresden Files.


There in a single book, a single series, I found everything I wanted to read. It was all right there: magic, monsters, and heroes, all set in the modern age without limitations. It opened my eyes to the possibilities that I, as a writer, could take advantage of. It lit a fire under me and set me on the path I tread today. And while I understand the Dresden Files might not be the most definitive or the best the genre has to offer these days, it was my first. Jim Butcher took my urban fantasy cherry, and I’ll always remember him fondly for it. Well, his books at least. He might not appreciate the sentiment otherwise.


But awkward and creepy statements aside, it was the idea that I didn’t need to conform to the tried and true tropes of the genre that originally inspired me. I was allowed to follow my own path and find my own voice.

The Demon Squad series has much of what Butcher brings to the table: it’s fast-paced and filled with sarcasm and a character that doesn’t quite fit into the world around him. It’s written in a dozen shades of gray that bring an element of mystery to the world. You never know who the bad guy might be or who the good guys are. There’s an element of realism in the series, of modern personalities, that allows me free rein of my stories. There are no definites.


The hero of the series is the Devil’s nephew. His cousin is an angel. His co-workers are a vampire, a mentalist, a wizard, psychics and a mystic. He encounters his ex-wife, who happens to be a succubus, and spars with werebears, and zombies, and vampires, oh my. There’s even the possibility of aliens, and that’s what I love about the genre of dark/urban fantasy. No one is going to bat an eyelid when they stumble across these elements in the Demon Squad world. They all come together as a cohesive whole because the expectations of the readers are different in the genre than they are in the other fantasy types.


I get to write for me and drag the reader along into the depths of insanity, inanity, and indecency. And they might even thank me for it.


Tim Marquitz
Grave digger turned horror author
www.tmarquitz.com

2 comments:

  1. Awesome first glimpse I've had of Tim Marquitz books. I'll definitely be looking into them. Thanks for the heads up.

    Love Tim's invite to wade into the depths of insanity, inanity, and indecency. (Hugs)Indigo

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...