February 3, 2012

Chasing Tale for February 3rd, 2012: Raymond Chandler, Joe R. Lansdale, Ekaterina Sedia ...

Now that I have a Kindle, the whole brick-and-mortar thing can seem a bit passe from time to time, but I tell ya: nothing beats walking down the aisles of a store with nothing to look at but books. As convenient as Amazon and other online stores might be, nothing comes close to capturing that. Granted, in winter it's nice not to have to drive through snow, slush, and ice, just to find a book to buy. Still, we persevere.

Here are books I've added to my actual bookshelf this past month:

The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler - I've heard Chandler's name bandied about long enough; it's time I read one of his novels this year. I found this one on the cheap at my local used-book store and in really good condition, too.

Eve of Darkness by S.J. Day - I already have a bunch of urban fantasy novels to read, but I spied this one on sale in one of those rotating shelves that you see in supermarkets sometimes.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick - I enjoyed Ridley Scott's film adaptation as much as the next guy, but I've never actually read the book. And, considering the film is a bit of a departure from the book, like so many other movies based on books, it's a wonder I haven't sought out this book sooner. Actually, I have been keeping my eye out for it the last few years in used bookstores, but I never saw a copy of it until early in May--and the copy I got is a very ratty looking paperback that I got for a buck. Still, a bargain.

Sunset and Sawdust by Joe R. Lansdale - I got this one shortly after putting it on my wish list. Lansdale's a heckuva writer and while I want to work my way through his Hap & Leonard series from start to finish, I want to read more of his stand-alone novels too, and this one sounds like it'll be good.

The Alchemy of Stone by Ekaterina Sedia - I won my choice of a book from Book Depository courtesy of the book blog, Chocolate Chunky Munkie. I opted for this one, since I really like the setup for this one, and Sedia's Secret History of Moscow was a very enjoyable read.


That's my haul. What books did you get this month?

No comments:

Post a Comment