January 11, 2012

Wish List Wednesday #107: Joe R. Lansdale's 'Sunset and Sawdust'


This is a recurring blog segment in which I highlight a book on my wish list. Sometimes it's a new release, sometimes a beloved classic, and sometimes it's a hidden gem.

I really enjoy reading Joe Lansdale's novels when I get the chance. I checked out a couple books from his Hap and Leonard series (Savage Season, Devil Red) and I'll definitely be reading the rest of them over time, but Joe does a damned good job at writing stand-alone novels too, like Freezer Burn.

One stand-alone novel that caught my eye and sounds like the kind of mystery novel that would be right up my alley is one called Sunset and Sawdust. Hell, the title alone makes me want to read it.

Now, I'm not big on the mystery genre, particularly anything that's a detective mystery or a police procedural, but this one sounds like it is the kind that would appeal to my grittier tastes in reading. Here's the write-up via Goodreads:

In the middle of a cyclone, beautiful, red-haired Sunset Jones shoots her husband Pete dead when he tries to beat and rape her. To Camp Rapture’s general consternation, Sunset’s mother-in-law arranges for her to take over from Pete as town constable. As if that weren’t hard enough to swallow in depression era east Texas, Sunset actually takes the job seriously, and her investigation into a brutal double murder pulls her into a maelstrom of greed, corruption, and unspeakable malice. It is a case that will require a well of inner strength she never knew she had. Spirited and electrifying, Sunset and Sawdust is a mystery and a tale like nothing you’ve read before.

Sold. So, are you a Lansdale fan? What other books of his should I be looking for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...