December 7, 2011

Chasing Tale (December 7th, 2011) Digital Edition: Gabrielle Faust, Ron Kelly, Ian Rogers ...


I have officially joined the Dark Side: I've got a Kindle.

I would have loved an e-reader that can read all e-book formats, but that's not going to happen any time soon. And since most of the e-books I have are in Kindle format, thanks to the ease of use with the Kindle for PC app, and the fact it's easier for me to convert EPUB to a Kindle friendly format than the other way around--goddamn DRM--the Kindle just kind of fell into my lap as the easy choice.

And honestly, between Amazon and Barnes & Noble, Amazon wins every time. As for Kobo--please.

Here are the latest e-books I've bought or received:

Dark Faith edited by Maurice Broaddus and Jerry Gordon - During Black Friday, Apex Books knocked 25% off the price of all their e-books, and I've had my eye on this one for a while, waiting for it to become available in a digital format. Score.

Regret by Gabrielle Faust - I've had this book on my wish list for a while (Wish List Wednesday#85), so when I got an e-mail alert from Amazon telling me it was on sale, how could I hold off any longer?

King Death by Paul Finch - Spectral Press has come out with their fourth chapbook, a novelette set in 14th century England during the Black Death. I'm on board for this one, but it's a story that comes with its own glossary. At least I won't need my dictionary.

The Sorrows by Jonathan Janz - After Leisure Books went to hell in a handbasket, editor Don D'Auria found a new home with Samhain Publishing and one of the latest novels he's worked on is this debut novel from Jonathan, who was kind enough to send me a review PDF.

Undertaker's Moon by Ron Kelly - One of the featured titles at Crossroad Press in November was this grizzly looking novel. I tried reading a Ron Kelly novel a couple years back, simply titled Fear I believe, and I didn't much care for it. I figured it was about time I tried his work out again, especially since his work is touted so positively by Dead in the South.

Temporary Monsters, The Ash Angels, and Black-Eyed Kids by Ian Rogers - A fellow Canadian is hard at it with a trio of novellas through Burning Effigy Press. Ian sent me some review copies to check out after I noticed the kudos he received for his work over at The ManEating Bookworm. He also got a mention recently at Dreadful Tales in their spotlight on Canadian horror authors.

The Forgetting Wood by Steve Savile - I recently read Hallowed Ground, which was a collaboration between Steve Savile and David Niall Wilson (you can read my review tomorrow). I thought it was really entertaining, and I figured I ought to read more of these guys. So I found this book on Crossroad Press.

The Light and the End by John Skipp and Craig Spector - This is one of those horror novels I've heard bandied about for years as a quintessential vampire tale. This is also the 25th Anniversary edition of a book from a genre I'm not overly familiar with: splatterpunk. I may need to pop some Rolaids or Tums before I sit down with this one.

All the Young Warriors by Anthony Neil Smith - In mid-November, Anthony offered this thriller for a scant 99 cents. It's a thriller set in Somalia. It's gotten some good reviews, so add that to the enticing price point, and my liking what I've read of Anthony's work so far, it was an easy buy.

Maelstrom by David Niall Wilson - The other book I snagged after reading Hallowed Ground was this novel about a ghost hunting romp in a cemetery goes horribly wrong. The premise sounds deliciously dark, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.


What e-books did you get recently?

2 comments:

  1. You didn't join the dark side, you joined the only side worth joining. :) Welcome to the family.

    You should write up your thoughts on the experience. It'd be nice to hear your thoughts, especially because you're such a physical book guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do still love that physical book, but I'm finding myself easily acclimated to the Kindle. I've got a book at the top of my reading queue right now and I have both trade paperback and Kindle editions, so I'll have to read it using both and see which I prefer.

    ReplyDelete