November 18, 2011

Monster Movie Marathon Roundup 2011

October treated me to some absolutely great guest posts from authors and bloggers. The Return of the Monster Movie Marathon showcased sixteen people with a passion for monsters that equals or surpasses my own. It's been a couple weeks since the marathon ended, but I still wanted to compile links to all of the guest posts for convenience and easy reference. And who knows, maybe next year will be even better with The Bride of the Monster Movie Marathon.

'It Has to Do with the Teeth' by Carol Weekes: I wouldn't have thought there'd be a way to sneak in a Sherlock Holmes reference while writing about monsters, but Carol found a way by discussing one of her earliest frights in The Hound of the Baskervilles. Monsters are one thing, but when they've got iconic sharp teeth, that's something else altogether. Jaws, anyone?

'Monster Love' by Louise Bohmer: I wrote about my own affinity for Monster Squad during last year's marathon, but Louise really hammers home just how great a children's movie this was. And it's astonishing to look back and realize that the movie is almost twenty-five years old.

'Zombies and the Rising' by Tim Marquitz: While the focus for this marathon is on movies, I don't discourage contributors from drawing outside the lines for something iconic, and Tim picked out one of the most iconic zombie novels ever--if not the zombie novel--in Brian Keene's The Rising. I read that book for the first time in the summer of 2010, as well as its sequel City of the Dead, and I'm inclined to agree with everything Tim wrote.

'Monsters on TV' by Midnyte Reader: Another guest post that went a little off the beaten path by showcasing some of the greatest monsters from television. Pam highlighted some doozies from The X-Files, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Supernatural, and even Star Trek. I gotta say, the Salt Monster that Kirk and Spock battled was one of the scariest things I saw as a little kid.

'Making Monsters (A Practical Guide) by Tim McGregor: It's one thing to give an opinion on the monster movies you watch, but Tim went the extra mile and talked about the monster movies he wrote. Including She Creature, UKM: The Ultimate Killing Machine and Bitten, Tim offered some great insight into what it takes to get one of these movies made--sometimes with mixed results.

'Pumpkinhead' by Mark A. Gunnells: I have never seen the movie Pumpkinhead before, but Mark has convinced me that I need to. Heck, just telling me Lance Henriksen stars in it is a mark in the win column. And I couldn't agree more about the virtues of Stand Winston.

'A Look Back at Nightbreed' by The Man Eating Bookworm: Nightbreed was one of the very first horror movies that I really gravitated towards as a boy, and it turns out the same is true for Peter. Despite my aversion to blood and guts, that movie had my eyes glued to the screen. It doesn't hurt that it was made in Canada--just like me.

'The Creature from the Black Lagoon Just Wants to be Loved' by Amy Grech: Personally, I think one of the most under-appreciated movie monsters is The Creature from the Black Lagoon. He might have the most tragic of the monster tales, seconded only by Frankenstein. Amy offers up some good reasons to give the gilled guy some love.

'Nosferatur' by Darkeva: Darkeva reminds us that vampires are at their best when they don't sparkle. Nosferatu is one of those weird movies from the early days of Hollywood that refuses to go away. And why should it? Orlock might be the scariest vampire ever.

'Night of the Comet' by Rosey's Reviews: Here's another movie I've yet to watch. Rosey offered up Night of the Comet as her choice of topic and it was all cheeseball by the looks of it. Zombies and valley girls? Yeah, I might have to check this one out.

'Mummies' by vvb32reads: Velvet may have chosen one of the prettiest and most ecclectic monster movies as her choice, with The Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec. Mummies and a pterodactyl? Okay, I'm interested. It's based on a comic series that Velvet reviewed, so I may hunt that down first.

'Brotherhood of the Wolf' by Wordsmithsonia: Brotherhood of the Wolf is a very good reason to give subtitled foreign films a chance, and Ryan explains why. I saw this movie when it first came out and it quickly became one of the best examples of historical horror I ever saw on film.

'The Inner Animal' by Zoe E. Witten: Keeping up with the werewolf motif, Zoe espoused the virtues of American Werewolf in London and Dog Soldiers. I haven't seen the former in eons and never saw the latter. Now that I think of it, I have trouble remembering when I last saw a really good werewolf movie.

'Lake Placid' by Book Den: Jennifer reminded me there is a monster movie starring Betty White, Lake Placid. At the time the movie came out though, Oliver Platt was the selling point for me--him and the giant crocodile. Go croc!

'That Halloween Spirit' by Michael West: Michael highlighted three halloween-themed movies with monsters: Halloween, Halloween III: Season of the Witch, Trick 'r' Treat. Of the three, I liked Trick 'r' Treat the best and thought Halloween III was total cheeseball. But Michael offers up a good defense for it while he reminisces.

'Critters' by Dylan Duarte: Dylan was a last minute entry with a guilty pleasure of mine, Critters. When classmates in elementary were excited about Freddy Krueger and Pinhead, I was more into the Critters. Sue me.

Again, I'd like to offer a big thanks to everyone who participated in the marathon this year. A ton of great--and not-so-great--movies to choose from for those of you looking for a monster movie to watch. And if you're looking for more suggestions, I wrote about a few myself, as well as some books: My Five Favorite Monsters from Childhood; Dinocroc Vs. Supergator; Monsters Vs. Aliens; The Mummy; Trollhunter; Bad Moon Rising by Jonathan Maberry; Those Who Went Remain There Still by Cherie Priest; Benjamin's Parasite by Jeff Strand; Sinking Deeper by Steve Vernon


  1. Had a lot of fun with your event. Can't wait to see what you got in store for next year.

  2. I am agree with you Ryan great ideas.

    Diablo 3 Guide



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...