November 2, 2011

Chasing Tale for November 1st, 2011: Peter Crowther, N.K. Jemison, Kelli Owen ...

I am not going to complain about the cold this year. At all. That being said, I have gotten two colds so far this fall. Maybe it's like the recession and it was just the same one that turned into a double-dip. That, however, was my own fault. I will not blame the weather. After those sweltering days of summer, I welcome the impending snow storms with welcome arms. I'm built like a polar bear, so that helps. All you skin-and-bones types are on your own.

If I will complain about anything it is that I don't have an open fire by which to read by books. That's something I have never done in my life. I've never lived anywhere that had a fireplace, at least not a functioning one. Wood stoves, sure, but not a fireplace with a quaint mantlepiece propping up stiffly-orchestrated family photos and darts trophies. Someday, perhaps. Until then, I'll settle for that TV channel that comes on in December with the crackling fire and incessant Christmas carols.

Heading into winter, here are some of the books I'll be reading sans fireplace:

Darkness Falling by Peter Crowther - Angry Robot Books is only a couple years old now, but they've already got quite an impressive looking library. One of their most recent releases is this horror tale about a small town becoming possessed one person at a time. Sounds creepy as heck and ought to be a fun, spooky read.

The First Husband by Laura Dave - Fridays on Twitter, I usually tweet what my #fridayreads are for that week. I had no idea there was a book giveaway attached, so imagine my surprise when I was announced as a winner. The book isn't exactly my cup of tea, but I'll give it a chance then hand it off to one of the ladies in the family. Guaranteed someone will enjoy it.

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin - Kat over at No Page Left Behind sent me a paperback of this much-heralded fantasy novel. A fantasy involving kings and gods and a power struggle that threatens everything. Neat. It's the first book in a trilogy, so if it's good then that means I have yet another series to get hooked on.

The New Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn and The Gentling Box by Lisa Mannetti - Lisa sent me signed copies of these two books, which is wonderful as I covet her work. I now have two signed copies of The Gentling Box: my original Dark Hart Press edition from 2008 and now the Shadowfall Publications edition from last year. I shall hoard them both.

The Neighborhood by Kelli Owen - I won this signed chapbook from Dreadful Tales (formerly Paperback Horror). I've yet to read Kelli's work, but Pat Dreadful and the gang approve, and I've heard her guest spots on Greg Hall's The Funky Werepig and she is a hoot. Plus, Brian Keene put her over as a writer to watch, so there's that too.

Demons by John Skipp (editor) - A big thanks to Darkeva's Dark Delights for sending me a copy of this very cool looking anthology. This book is brand new, but I literally hadn't heard of it until Darkeva told me about it. I'm a sucker for a good themed anthology, and this one ought to be good. When the contributing authors is as diverse as Charles Beaumont, Neil Gaiman, Bentley Little, and Alethea Kontis, it's gotta be good.

So there's the new crop added to my reading pile. What did you snag this past month?

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you have some excellent reads there. I too am fighting off the second cold of the season which is unheard of in my household. My way of taking it all in though, was reading last night. It's been a few weeks since I've been awake enough to actually read before going to bed instead of crashing the second my head hits the pillow. Looking forward to checking a few of these out.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...