October 4, 2011

Wish List Wednesday #104: Rhiannon Frater's "The First Days"


Zombies, man. Velvet Reads spent September shining the spotlight on the undead buggers, and one of the books that was featured was The First Days by Rhiannon Frater.

This book is the first in a trilogy (As the Word Dies) published by Tor. But before Tor got their hands on it, Rhiannon self-published all three books. It was actually through her dogged promotion and dedication to her craft that made the books the initial success they were, thus garnering attention from Tor and demonstrating she wasn't some hack with some first drafts for sale. I should be sick of zombie novels, I really should. That said, the thing that keeps me from declaring a moratorium on that particular monster is the fact there are quite a few authors who don't write about one-dimensional characters blasting their way through shambling hordes. They leave that mindset to the video-game industry. And Rhiannon strikes me as an author who writers about characters, not zombies.

Here's part of the write-up from Goodreads:

The morning that the world ends, Katie is getting ready for court and housewife Jenni is taking care of her family. Less than two hours later, they are fleeing for their lives from a zombie horde.

Thrown together by circumstance, Jenni and Katie become a powerful zombie-killing partnership, mowing down zombies as they rescue Jenni’s stepson, Jason, from an infected campground.

They find sanctuary in a tiny, roughly fortified Texas town. There Jenni and Katie find they are both attracted to Travis, leader of the survivors; and the refugees must slaughter people they know, who have returned in zombie form.

Sounds good to me. What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. Hi! If you're still planning on participating in the read-a-thon, be sure to link up at the sign in post so you will be eligible for all the giveaways. Here's the link: http://castlemacabre.blogspot.com/2011/10/frightful-fall-read-thon-information.html

    I have you in the sign up linky, but not the starting line sign-in linky.

    I draw two participant winners at midnight (CST) each night.

    Hope you're still with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely want to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the entire trilogy before Tor got their hands on it. I'm curious to pick up actual hard copies of the novels but will wait until all three are released.

    Personally really enjoyed the trilogy, so much so that I even splurged for her vampire novel "Pretty When She dies". I'd even go see a movie made of this trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the entire trilogy before Tor got their hands on it. I'm curious to pick up actual hard copies of the novels but will wait until all three are released.

    Personally really enjoyed the trilogy, so much so that I even splurged for her vampire novel "Pretty When She dies". I'd even go see a movie made of this trilogy.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...