October 15, 2011

Monsters Vs. Aliens: This is as close as I get to enjoying a Reese Witherspoon Rom-Com


Monsters Vs. Aliens
starring Reese Witherspoon, Hugh Laurie, Seth Rogan, Will Arnett, Keifer Sutherland, Paul Rudd, and Rainn Wilson
directed by Conrad Vernon
Dreamworks (2009)

There seems to be an animated movie that pays homage to just about every genre out there, so it's only right there would be one dedicated to monster movies from the mid-20th century. I used to love those movies as a kid. Ah, who am I kidding--I still love 'em.

Monsters Vs. Aliens actually focuses on one monster movie I've never seen though: Attack of the 50 Ft. Tall Woman. I remember the iconic poster for it, but I've never had an opportunity to watch it. Susan (Witherspoon) is set to marry the man of her dreams, an ambitious weatherman voiced by Paul Rudd, but while fretting outside the church she's struck by a meteorite and soon grows to a frightening fifty feet tall--and her hair turns white for some reason. She's captured by the military and thrown in a prison for monsters until a giant alien probe lands on Earth in search of the substance Susan absorbed to gain her height and powers. Her allies in the battle against aliens include the Missing Link (Will Arnett), the Blob (Seth Rogan), a super-intelligent cockroach (Hugh Laurie), and a giant bug that's even bigger than Susan.

The plot of this movie is shaky, which could be forgiven considering it's both a children's movie and an homage to those cheesy sci-fi movies from the 50s and 60s, but I've seen so many high caliber animated movies over the last several years that a film like this needs more than an A-list cast and slapstick. Basically the meterorite that hit Susan had a precious mineral the aliens want, so the chase is on to capture her and extract it. Meanwhile, the U.S. President, aptly voiced by Stephen Colbert, goes into panic mode and authorizes the other monsters to thwart the aliens. Good enough for me.

I didn't watch this in 3-D, so I couldn't tell you how that turned out. I will say watching the film in plain ol' 2-D doesn't hinder the viewing experience, though the scenes meant for the 3D viewing are blatantly obvious--just like every other 3-D movie. If you've got kids that might have a penchant for the weird, this is a good movie to let them watch, and for the grown-ups it is a nice tip of the hat to those movies of yesteryear. Though, I would suggest the adults grab a classic monster movie to work with this one as a double-feature. Maybe Attack of the 50 Ft. Tall Woman or Them!.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't watched this yet. I do like Reese Witherspoon though, so maybe I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son likes this one, but I pass on it. I love Attack of the 50 Foot Woman and Them! though.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...