September 29, 2011

Chasing Tale for September 29th, 2011: Ray Bradbury, Shock Totem, Sarah Waters ...

Where the heck did summer go? Man, that was fast. Oh well, autumn is my time to shine, as opposed to summer which is my time to swelter. This time of year is great for another reason: Halloween!

I don't go crazy over Halloween, but it is a very cool holiday when you think about it. As a kid, you get to disguise yourself and prowl the neighborhood with friends and extort junk food from strangers. Try that any other day of the year and you'll be labeled a delinquent. And as a man, you get one day of the year to dress up as your favorite Sailor Moon character without that specter of shame hovering over you at the supermarket. Did I write Sailor Moon? I meant Iron Man--yeah, Iron Man.

Kids have to be careful these days, though. The streets are dangerous with bullies and pedophiles, and apparently apple juice if Dr. Oz has anything to say about it. It was a safer time back in my day, when the worst I had to worry about was a razorblade in my candy apple. Ah, memories.

Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury - I've wanted this one for a while, mentioning it way back in Wish List Wednesday #52, and actually found a copy at a used-book shop. I've seen plenty of copies of Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 and The Martian Chronicles, but this was the first copy of Something Wicked I've ever seen on a store shelf. About f--king time if you ask me. And I do believe this will be my Halloween read this year.

Lockdown: Escape from Furnace by A. Gordon Smith - I recently hosted a giveaway with this book as the prize courtesy of Macmillian Publishing. I've had it on my wish list since last year, since YA horror doesn't seem to be as prevalent as I'd care to see. I finally received my review copy in the mail, so I'll have to tear into it soon.

The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters - I mentioned this book in WLW #74 and actually had a chance to borrow it earlier in the year, but I still wanted my own copy. Thankfully, I found a hardcover copy of it at the annual library book sale. It was the only one of the few books I bought that I had on my watch list, the rest I just grabbed at random and got out there due to the shoulder-to-shoulder crowd. I hate crowds, so I count myself lucky to have gotten one book I wanted.

Shock Totem #4 edited by K. Allen Wood - I won a signed copy of Shock Totem's fourth issue from Lee Thompson, one of its contributing authors, and a rising name in horror. I recently read and reviewed the inaugural issue of Shock Totem, which was first published back in 2009. And that issue really got my taste buds craving more of the macabre. I suspect this will satiate my appetite ... for a little while. I've already read a couple of the stories (Lee's included), and this issue might be even better than the first.


That's what's new on my bookshelf. What did you add to yours?

3 comments:

  1. Something Wicked This Way Comes is AMAZING. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just added the books listed to my reading. Cheers!!

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read Something Wicked This Way Comes as well.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...