August 17, 2011

Wish List Wednesday #102: Holly Black's "White Cat"


I've been a casual fan of the urban fantasy genre since 2009, pretty much around the same time I started this blog, coincidentally. But, because I don't fully immerse myself in the genre, I'm often left clueless as to which authors to look for beyond the few I've already tried. So, leave it to the plethora of blogs in my Google Reader to repeatedly suggest certain books.

One of those books comes from Holly Black called White Cat. Mixing crime and fantasy is an interesting mix, and was executed expertly I thought with the anthology, Supernatural Noir. But White Cat is directed towards a younger audience I think, and the urban fantasy genre tends to play things a little fast and loose, so the tone of this novel should be slightly less dark than some of the other stuff I've read this year.

Still, a story with a protagonist who killed his best friend has to have some dark subject matter. And with a profession such as curse worker, there's a unique twist to it all that could prove very entertaining.

The reviews I've read have been very good for the most part, but a couple of blogs I read didn't care for it too much, so should I get round to reading this one I'll have to keep my preconceptions in check.

How about you? Have you read this one, and if so, what did you think?

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...