August 31, 2011

Chasing Tale for August 31st, 2011: Emma Donaghue, Richard Kadrey, Lucy A. Snyder ...

There is something wrong with Canada Post. That's the only conclusion I can come to, because an unusually high number of books addressed to me are not showing up in my mailbox. I ordered a book from Book Depository back in April and it never arrived until this month. Book Depository had to mail the book three times before I got that one copy. As you'll see, I received a few books in the mail, but there are even more that I should have received by now. And it seems I'm not the only one having trouble with Canada Post, because all you have to do is search #canadapost on Twitter and you'll see a litany of similar complaints from people and businesses.

Now, I don't blame the postal workers. I blame the people signing their paychecks, because they're the ones that locked those workers out in June and basically brought mail delivery to a screeching halt across the country. Then, once the postal workers were brought back on the job, they were left with the task of making up for lost time and weren't permitted sufficient overtime--I don't think they received any overtime at all, frankly. There are a ton of packages and letters sitting in some kind of limbo now, and there's no real guarantee those items will ever get to their destinations.

I remember Canada Post touting how it was a profitable and efficient business. This year, I'm left to wonder how that is possibly true, as I take each successfully mailed book to be its own small miracle.

Bah, enough of my bellyaching. Let's see what book actually did appear in my mailbox:

King Maker by Maurice Broaddus - I won this from Bryan Schmidt who oversees Twitter #SFFWRTCHT, which is a sci-fi/fantasy chat for writers/readers every week on Twitter. I've already read and reviewed the sequel to this book, King's Justice, and despite enjoying the book I felt like I'd appreciate it better if I read King Maker. Now I've got a copy at my disposal.

Room by Emma Donoghue - I'm hard-pressed to think of a book that was talked about more in literary circles last year as Room. While I am an unabashed genre fan, I do enjoy the literary side of things, and there is enough quirkiness to the premise of this book to intrigue me. So I consider myself fortunate to have won this copy from Redneck Girl.

Vampire Empire: The Greyfriar by Clay & Susan Griffith - I entered a trivia contest at the start of July, hosted by the podcasts, I Should Be Writing, SF Signal, and Adventures in SciFi Publishing. And, hey, I won something from Pyr Books. It's an alternate history tale with some sci-fi, fantasy, and horror elements thrown in, and it looks really promising.

Kill the Dead by Richard Kadrey - I have been looking forward to this one ever since I read Sandman Slim. The first book offers a great blend of urban fantasy with horror, and I suspect an equally rewarding experience with this novel. I talked about it a bit in Wish List Wednesday #88, and I have a strong feeling the third book in the series, Aloha from Hell, will be on my wish list in due time.

Spellbent by Lucy A. Snyder - I took Book Depository three tries to mail this book to me, but it finally arrived. Nobody bats a thousand, I guess. Anyway, I mentioned my interest in this book back in Wish List Wednesday #83, and it's nice to finally have it added to my to-be-read pile.

Cinema of Shadows by Michael West - Seventh Star Press has been branching out with a few new authors and novels over the last year, but this is the first instance I can recall where a novel has been all-out horror. Michael West's novel about a haunted theater and the paranormal investigators who skulk through it one night ought to be a fun read, as I'm a big fan of ghost stories.

And those are the books that arrived in August. What gems did you find in your mailbox this past month?

2 comments:

  1. I hope the mailing situation improves up there. I still have to read Vampire Empire :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fingers crossed about the mail. One book showed up in the mail yesterday (Shock Totem #4), so that's a step in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...