July 26, 2011

Rabid Reads: "Supernatural Noir" edited by Ellen Datlow


Supernatural Noir
edited by Ellen Datlow
Dark Horse (2011)
ISBN 1595825460
Available via: Amazon / BookDepository / Indiebound

The ARC of this anthology came at the perfect time, as my reading tastes this spring and summer have been tuned to the noir and dark fantasy genres. So, to see a slew of authors each offer up short stories with a blending of elements from both genres, with Ellen Datlow expertly compiling the stories together, well ... let's just say this might have been the perfect summer read for me this year.

Now, being an anthology, this book offers up a mixed bag, even if does seem like the theme narrows the borders in which the authors can play. The truth is that noir fiction can be pretty damned diverse, and throwing in a supernatural bent only offers more freedom. It boils down to tone, I suppose. In any case, an anthologist like Ellen Datlow is about as reliable as they get when it comes to getting the best from the best.

Right off the bat I was charmed by a gritty heist story by Paul Tremblay called "The Getaway." A getaway driver speeds his cohorts out of town after a botched robbery, only to find the leader of the pack isn't in the car anymore. He's just disappeared, and the rest start to wonder just what the guy they robbed might have had to do with it. This was had a good deal of tension and a cool bit of paranoia.

A great little tale of the wayward soul seeking redemption came from Jeffrey Ford's "The Last Triangle." A washed-out addict winds up at the end of his rope and going through a rough bit of rehab in an old woman's house. But she doesn't throw him out, and instead recruits him into helping her investigate a mystery involving some rune-like symbols graffitied around town. The dichotomy of the two characters felt familiar, but the magical flavoring and Ford's way of moving the story along made it feel unique. Quite liked this one.

After that came Laird Barron's "The Carrion Gods in Their Heaven." Young women hiding out in a cabin in the middle of nowhere, hiding out from the law and the men in their lives, are swept up in a local legend and an animal hide with some powers that imbue through whoever wears it. A damned strange story with an ending that really packed a punch. It wound up being one of my favorites from the bunch.

A bit of a quirky one came from Joe Lansdale's "Dead Sister," which had a fella hired by an alluring woman to find out who is digging up her sister's grave each night. I found this one creepy as heck, but with an odd bit of humor to it that kept the rather macabre subject matter from being too gruesome.

Those are just a few samples of what you can expect from the anthology. Sufficed to say that I didn't really find any of them to be a disappointment, and I was really happy to finally get a chance to sample the works of some authors I've not read from yet, but have heard tons of praise for. It's just about as good as I could ask for from a themed anthology and I hope there is second volume sometime down the road. I suspect Supernatural Noir could be a wellspring of stories if this batch is any indication.

CymLowell

4 comments:

  1. Nice review! I enjoyed this anthology (and Tremblay's contribution in particular, like you), and I was waiting to see what you would have to say about it. Bits were a little dark for me, but I love the short story form - small enough bites that you don't get overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to read this since I first heard about it. This review makes me want it even more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Celia - Collections and anthologies are always hit or miss, but Ellen Datlow is very reliable. Interested to see what Naked City is like.

    Ryan - I don't think you'll be disappointed should you get around to reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good review...NEW FOLLOWER.

    Stopping by from Cym Lowell's Book Review Party.

    Stop by my blog if you like.

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...