July 19, 2011

Getting Graphic: "Preacher: Book Three" by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon

Preacher: Book Three
written by Garth Ennis
illustrated by Steve Dillon
DC Comics/Vertigo (2010, hardcover)
ISBN 9781401230166
Available via: Amazon

Preacher is shaping up to be my favorite comic book series, over Gaiman's Sandman series. It's been that damn good so far.

It's been quite a few months since I read the second volume, so I'm not sure if I missed something, but it felt like I had missed an issue or two by the way this hardcover started out with its main story arc. Still, I was able to dive right back into this universe and fell in love with its characters all over again.

The book started off with an origin tale for the Saint of Killers, the hard-hearted gunslinger who is hunting down Custer and his friends, apparently under the orders of God himself. It was even more brutal and tragic than I expected, and in a sense I came away rooting for the guy. I mean, he had his life and family torn apart--and blew the Devil's brains out. Not too shabby.

From there, Cassidy the Irish Vampire took center stage with a romp through New Orleans that had him meeting up with a poncy bloodsucker and his band of groupies. This was a fun one, with plenty of humor directed at the gothic vampire crowd. I can only imagine how Cassidy would react to the Twi-hards these days.

Once those two stories got out of the way, it was back to the main story with Reverend Jessie Custer, with his girlfriend Tulip and Cassidy, hot on the trail of the Almighty God who has gone into hiding. The story got a bit winding and still with a fair bit of contemplation, rumination, and even a soap opera style fiasco for good measure, as opposed to the previous two books and their breakneck action and suspense. Still, the characters were spot on, and I was unable to put the book down come the end of the night. The nature of this little trinity changes over the course of this book and really has me eager to see what happens in the next volume.

I can't say a bad thing about this book. It was damn near perfect. I think the only thing that would have made it better is if the bald-headed bastard, Herr Starr, who is trying to hunt Custer down and make him a martyr had a larger role in the book. As it was, his pent-up rage over the new scar on his head courtesy of Custer, which gives his cranium the odd resemblance to a penis, was hilarious.

|Even if you don't read graphic novels or comic books, I think you'd be doing yourself a favor by tracking down this series through a shop or library, because it's been a treat so far, in my humble opinion.

5 comments:

  1. Funny thing... I gave my brother the entire Preacher graphic novel set a couple of months ago, and he just gave them back to me. I am a huge comic fan, though far from a connoisseur. I read almsot exclsuively Marvel, and have for the past 25 years (I am 34). Very little else, except for Fables and Sandman (a long time ago), and Preacher is my hands down favorite comic series EVER. It has everything. I'm actually going to re-read it once I've gotten through my comic back log. I'm happy HBO never made a TV series out of it; they would have only ruined it. As Comic Book Guy would say: Best- Story- Ever

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Gave 'em back? Did he not read them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, he read them. Several times. They are ebat up as all Hell. he ahs moved on to Walking Dead now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah. I'm in the midst of that series too. I've got volumes 3 and 4 on my to-be-read pile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I refuse to watch the TV show because it can not be as good as the graphic novels. Good series, not as good as Preacher

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...