July 7, 2011

Chasing Tale in June: Victor Gischler, Duane Swierczynski, Kaaron Warren ...


There was a postal strike in June up here in Canada so my mailbox collected nothing but dust for the last three weeks. I got a hunch the next Chasing Tale blog post will have a lot of books due to what's out there in mail room limbo still trying to find its way to me. Before the postal workers got locked out by management though, I did get a few books to add to my to-be-read pile.

Shotgun Opera by Victor Gischler - In Wish List Wednesday #92, I mentioned a novel by Victor Gischler called Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse. The title says it all. Well, I haven't added that one to my shelf yet, but I did manage to snag a copy of this crime novel about a man and his nephew warding off a slew of assassins on his farm. If I like this book half as much as I love Gischler's flare for book titles, then I'm gonna love it. Available via: Book Depository and Amazon.

Off Season by Jack Ketchum - I won this paperback courtesy of Martha's Bookshelf. I've read three Ketchum novels so far (She Wakes, The Girl Next Door, The Woman), so when a chance arises to get my hands on another one, for free at that, I'm happy.

Though Not Dead by Dana Stabenow - Donna Freedman hosted a big giveaway on her blog a while back, in which she was giving away a slew of prizes from sponsors. I entered and wound up winning a signed hardcover edition of this Kate Shugak novel. I've never read Stabenow's work before, but the cover and premise for this book are enticing. And, considering she mailed it all the way from her neck of the woods in Alaska, I will certainly make it a point to read this book sooner rather than later, as well to share it with any mystery lovers in the family. Available via: Amazon and Book Depository.

Severance Package by Duane Swierczynski - I mentioned this novel back in Wish List Wednesday #46, and after I was wowed by Swierczynski's Fun and Games which I reviewed a few weeks ago, I knew I had to read more of his work. I first became aware of his work when Brian Keene listed this novel as one of his favorite novels from 2009. A good enough recommendation for me, and wouldn't you know I managed to finally get myself a copy. Available via: Amazon and Book Depository.

Slights by Kaaron Warren - Wish List Wednesday #94 had me expressing interest in this title. I got it and was a bit surprised at how hefty it is, weighing in close to five-hundred pages, but that's of no consequent really since the premise is so damned intriguing. I'm not one who normally expresses any kind of brand loyalty towards publishers, but like Chizine Publications and Belfire Press, I'm consistently impressed by the quality of stories coming from Angry Robot Books. I suspect this one will be no exception. Available via: Amazon and Book Depository.

So, what have you added to your book collection lately?

3 comments:

  1. Heard amazing things about Gischler. Can't wait to read your review

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nightmare, I'm always a little bit sad when I find there's no book shaped post waiting for me at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ben - I can't wait to read it, but I'll likely dig into his novella that he co-authored with A. Neil Smith before hand.

    Ellie - Ha. Those book-shaped parcels are a treat--unless they're not books, then it's infuriating. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...