July 1, 2011

Chasing Tale in June (Digital Edition #2): Barry Napier, James Reasoner, Roger Smith

I was thinking of blogging about my summer reading list again this year, but it kind of seems redundant in a way since all you have to do is look at these Chasing Tale blog posts from the past couple of months to get an idea of what's on my plate this summer. Here's a hunt: A lot.

And despite my to-be-read pile achieving monolithic status, I still managed to acquire more e-books. More fuel for the fire that is my appetite for stories, I suppose. At this point, an e-reader is more of an inevitability than ever before. I'm resisting though, because the tactile experience of an actual book in my hands is so natural. Reading a book via my laptop is certainly more convenient than my ancient desktop PC, but there's a small piece of the experience missing. I think it stems from the fact that I spend so much time reading other things on computers; like news, social networks, blogs, et cetera; it feels like there's a saturation point at times for how much my eyes can tolerate staring at a computer screen. Would an e-reader be the difference maker in that regard?

Anyway, I ramble. Here are the e-books thrown on the pile:


Dust Devils by Roger Smith - Thanks to a heads up from Peter at The Man Eating Bookworm, I found out author Anthony Neil Smith had a special offer going on in mid-June. If you bought Dust Devils at its bargain price of $3.99, he'd throw in three of his own e-books for free. I had one of Anthony's books on my wish list already, so I checked out what Roger had cooked up and it looked pretty good as well. So, I scooped it up and got four e-books for four bucks, which is the kind of thing that spoils a fella.

As for the three free e-books Anthony Neil Smith gave me, they are: Choke On Your Lies; Yellow Medicine; and To the Devil, My Regards, coauthored with Victor Gischler.


Choke On Your Lies is the one I had on my wish list after reading about it on Victor Gischler's blog, so that was a nice get. Then there's the novella he wrote with Gischler, which also sounds like it'll be a good read. And a book I've since read some very positive reviews for, Yellow Medicine. If I enjoy it as much I think I'm going to, I'll eventually have to hit the Kindle Store again and buy its newly released sequel, Hog Boggin'.

Birdwatching from Mars by Barry Napier and Luis Puig - Barry already writes novels, short stories, and even poetry. Now, with Luis Puig doing the artwork, he is writing graphic novels now. Nothing makes you feel like you're standing still as a writer than seeing a workhorse like Barry tackling so many different projects. I've only just started into it, but I got the sense I was in for a treat from the very first page. I hate you, Barry.


Demon Squad: Resurrection by Tim Marquitz - I read and reviewed the first Demon Squad book, Armageddon Bound, in early 2010. I thought it was a fun, pulpy read with plenty of gun play and supernatural action. I'm hoping Resurrection can keep pace with that first book, even surpass it. I've read a couple reviews that tell me it does, so that's good news.


The Blood Mesa (The Dead Man #5) by James Reasoner - The fifth installment of the Dead Man series is set for release in early July. I'm loving this series, and even ranked it among by ten favorite reads of the year so far over at Rosey's Review. There may even be a little interview with James to coincide with my review of the book next week, so watch out for that.


Guarding the Healer by Gabriel Beyers - Gabriel contacted me right at the point when I became tentative about taking on any more review requests, considering the sheer amount of commitments I have already. But when I saw Barry Napier's name credited as the cover artist, I figured I could at least throw this book on the pile and give it a chance in due time. I hate you, Barry.


Watch Me Die by Lee Goldberg - The co-creator of The Dead Man shot me an e-mail late in June with this e-book attached. It's a re-release from 2005, and while I'm not in a hurry to read a Monk novel, I am interested to see what his original work outside the Dead Man has to offer.


The Kult by Shaun Jeffrey - This past month, Shaun was looking to get the word out on this novel, which I've read multiple positive reviews for in the last couple of years. I sent out a couple of signal boosts for him and snagged myself a review copy in the process. Goodness knows when I'll get a chance to read it, but I appreciate having it in my library all the same and hope to get to it by year's end.

And there you have it. An obscene amount of reading awaits me, stretching straight to Christmas I reckon. I think this is my cut-off point. I may buy an e-book now and again from the Kindle Store, but my review commitments have reached their limit. If anyone else sends a book my way in hopes of a review, they're likely going to be waiting a long, long time. And just wait until the end of July when I blog about the physical books I won, bought, and had gifted to me.

That reminds me of a question I was bouncing around recently.

Do you find yourself buying more e-books than physical books nowadays? If so, what prompted that change?

3 comments:

  1. I'm still buying far more paperbacks (and hardbacks) than ebooks. In fact, I've stopped reading on my kindle and suspect it shall collect a lot of dust before I pick it up again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like most, when I first heard about ereaders, I thought they were the most ridiculous things ever.

    But I asked for one for Xmas and now I love it. I'm definitely buying more ebooks however those purchases are inexpensive reads from indie authors.

    my two cents. Ereaders keep coming down in price too. I imagine they'll drop below $100 by next Xmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cate - That's part of why I can't bring myself to buy a Kindle. $150 down the tubes and I might not even be that enamored by it.

    Tim - Brands like Aluratek and a couple others have dropped under $100, but I don't know if they can read Kindle books--probably not.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...